Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Looking to build a new computer. This is what Im looking at using. Any tips or advice on where to improve or whats overkill is appreciated. Will be used for occasional gaming and dont plan on building a new one for atleast a couple years. I know technology changes every day but i built my first computer in August 04 and it is still running strong with any game i choose to play but most of it is at min requirements right now.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail -

EVGA 512-P3-N845-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) KO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - Video Card

Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Not too sure about that motherboard, the DDR3 and DDR2 compatibility is what i liked since i plan on using it for a while but if you have better suggestions let me know.
Thanks

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Change the power supply (if price is an issue) to this Corsair, much better quality. Also, I suggest going with a modular power supply since you're getting that case (better for cable management, you don't need to attach unused cables, but a little expensive).
Also, do you have an OS with this build?
Do you also have a DVD-Drive?

Kamille

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes i will be using my old windows XP pro and maybe eventually upgrade to vista but right now i just hate vista. plus it uses so much memory and power compared to xp. DVD drive isnt really that big of an issue. Ill figure that out if i do decide to build this comp. My hesitation is i dont really need it so not sure if its worth it to me right now.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
As long as you have a DVD-drive then it should be fine and they're pretty cheap anyways. (can't install OS without one :))
I have no experience with that motherboard so I cannot comment on it.
Everything looks fine except the power supply that I already mentioned.