Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

tamincalif661

tamincalif661

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please forgive me... I am not good at computers so I'm going to try my best to describe what all my problems are: :) My anti-virus software 'disappeared' and when I've tried to re-install, I get a message that states the windows installer is missing or corrupt. While updating my daughters' i-phone, i-tunes couldn't update for the same reason and left the i-phone in limbo.... can't update and can't use. :)

Other issue(s) are: that when we try to open a word or excell document, I can only access what's in 'my documents'. can't go to the 'shared documents' folder, when I attempt, the program(s) freeze.

There are other issues going on that I can't remember at this moment because my brain is fried. Please help! :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Please go here: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315346

If you need or decide to use "Method 2" (re-install the Windows Installer), which is the easiest option, be sure to read and follow the instructions given under "Method 2" before installing it (print it out if necessary), then go here to download it:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Your 'Shared Documents' problem I can find no specific reference to, but running the Windows Error Checking Tool may fix it:
My Computer-->right-click the C: drive icon and select "Properties"
Click the "Tools" tab
Click "Check Now"
Tick both options and click "Start"
Click "Yes" to allow the error checker to run at the next restart.
Restart

This isn't a guaranteed fix for freezing problems but it's worth a try, and your disk may have errors that need fixing anyway. This will fix them.

tamincalif661

tamincalif661

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
pip22,

Thanks for your reply. I attempted to follow Method 2 (to re-install Windows Installer) and had problems. I went to Start/run and typed in cmd then ok as stated. Then I typed the next 3 commands and this is what I got:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>cd %windr%\system32
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>attrib -r -s -h dllcache
File not found - dllcache

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>ren msi.dll msi.old
The system cannot find the file specified.

I didn't go any further. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
cd %windr%\system32

If that's what you typed then you have a typo. It should be:

cd %windir%\system32 (it's windir, not windr)!

%windir% is an Environmental Variable and should be set to C:\WINDOWS if C: is your boot drive.