Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won;t start up

• Please log in to reply

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, whenever i turn on my computer the xp loading window stays on screen and windows won't load. I've tried putting it on safe mode and set it to the last working settings, but to no avail. Is there anything else i can try before i send it away to be fixed? thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Sending it away to be fixed is only appropriate if it's a serious hardware failure, and your problem may not be hardware-related at all.
Do you have any recovery media for the PC that allows you re-install the operating system as it was when you first bought it?

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, yes i do, i read the instructions on them and it says that the hard disk will be wiped when i use it. My hard drive is split into a C and D drives. XP and all my software is on the C drive while my saved files are on D. I don't mind if C drive is wiped but i do if D drive is because there is some work on it that i haven't backed up recently, would using the recovery disk wipe this to? And can I back up my D drive by putting them on my external hard drive? Can i do this even though i can't get on to windows? thanks.

Edited by stuartie_b, 29 April 2008 - 02:34 AM.