Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to find Server 2003 Drivers

• Please log in to reply

deekay_dk

deekay_dk

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I currently have an Acer M460 desktop model that I would like to blow out and add Server 2003 to run WSUS.

The problem is I cannot locate some drivers for the hardware. Acer only has XP and Vista Drivers available. I tried doing internet searches but was unable to locate them.

Network Card - Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E
Audio - 82801G (ICH7 Family ) HD Audio
Chipset - Intel G31/G33/G35
Video - Intel G33-G31 Express Chipset Family ( Bearlake )

Would the XP drivers for these suffice or am I screwed on not being able to use server 2003 on this?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Many XP drivers (though not necessarily those for the devices you've listed) are also compatible with Server 2003. Those that are it will say so at the download source (except maybe at the Acer website since they don't support it). If Acer can't help you, you'll have to try and get them from each device manufacturer's website. And, of course, Server 2003 has it's own driver library on disc. It will install these if they match the hardware it detects during installation.

It's very much a "suck it and see" situation here. After installing Server 2003 you may find some of those devices you listed have already been set up and are working already. That is unless all those devices are new models which didn't exist when Server 2003 was released. In that case you could also install the latest Service Pack for it, which may add more drivers for newer devices amongst other fixes.

SP2 for Windows Server 2003: http://technet.micro...r/bb229701.aspx

Google is always at hand to search for a specific driver provided you know the make/model of the device.

Edited by pip22, 28 April 2008 - 10:15 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may also find "Driver Detective" useful, though you'd have to install Server 2003 first (it runs on Server 2003) and get your network card working by some other means if Windows has no driver for it, then download and run Driver Detective.

http://www.drivershq.com/

Edited by pip22, 28 April 2008 - 10:27 AM.

deekay_dk

deekay_dk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help.

I was able to get everything working except the ethernet controller working. I tried the XP drivers for the card but had no luck getting them to work. I am downloading SP2 from another PC.

Anyone have any insight on the ethernet fix?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Easiest fix is to replace the network card with one that Server 2003 recognizes, almost any SMC card will work as will any that use the Realtek RTL8129 or RTL8139 chipset.

I did find a driver on Driverguide.com. You will have to sign up for a free account. Search for

Realtek RTL8168 and Network

in the boxes at top right of page.