Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nero 6 and Yamaha CD-RW strange buffer underruns

• Please log in to reply

JordanSinister

JordanSinister

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My problem is with unexplainable buffer underruns when writing with my CD-RW.

I am using the latest version of Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12, Yamaha Lightspeed CD-RW 16x10x40, ABIT NF7-S2G mobo, AMD Sempron 2500+ cpu, Kingston DDR400 512 RAM, Windows XP SP2. Norton Personal Firewall and Antivirus run all the time. I have taken care of adware with Ad-Aware SE and I monitor/prioritize programs and processes with Codestuff Starter so there are no extra programs or processes that are slowing me down. Everything is the latest version; updates, firware, etc. Also, my IDE drives are set to Ultra DMA.

Whenever I try to write a CD-R at 16x, 12x, and 8x my buffer instantly shoots to 98% and it doesn't complete before causing a buffer underrun and failing. I have not yet tried to write at a slower speed, but I shouldn't have to. I don't know if this problem is with the software or the hardware. I have replaced my CD-RW with another of the same model that my dad bought and gave to me because he upgraded. They both perform and have tested exactly the same. Also, I encountered the exact same problems when burning while using Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6. I switched to Nero 6 after deciding that it would be much better. However, nothing has really changed and I have no idea how to reduce my buffer levels.

Something else strange is that when I monitor the CPU usage with Windows Task Manager during a burn, Nero is hardly using an of the CPU (usually 00, but jumps for moments to 03-06) but the overall CPU usage jumps from 4-10% to 50-70%. System Idle Process is always using the vast majority of the CPU and I don't know if that is normal or not.

NOTE: I have recently found that the only way to get a successful burn at 12x, despite the maxed out buffers, is to disable Norton Antivirus, use CodeStuff Starter to put Nero as a High Priority, run a simulation, and not do anything else at all...including moving the mouse. The buffers are still at 98-100% the whole time. This hasn't work every time, but more times than not. Still, it's not a decent solution and it's not the way these things are supposed to operate.

So, can anyone help me? What is going on?

Advertisements

sakahowdah

sakahowdah

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Don't even bother downloading this piece of crap - I just spent more then 2 hours trying to download a movie - bottom line - it didn't work... Don't waste your time with this crap.