Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer class assignment

• Please log in to reply

strawberry93

strawberry93

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need to complete an assignment for a beginning computer course and am running short on time so thought maybe I could get a little help from some of you that have a lot more experiance with computer componants than I.
I have to build (on paper only) a computer for a specific need. I am choosing to build one for audio, video, and graphics. I will need specs and prices for all componants. I can look all that information up online, however, the part I am not so sure about is what type of motherboard, video card, sound card, power supply and chip set to get. I will be using Windows XP as my OS, but am not sure if this is the best OS for what I am putting together.
Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Edited by strawberry93, 28 April 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Strawberry93,

Since this is a class assignment, it is against G2G's policy to assist with schoolwork. I suggest you take a look at the vast threads posted in this section to get an idea of what components will work with each other. I can't just list all the components and prices you'll need but I can give you a few pointers on what things to looks for.

Motherboard is essentially the first thing you should pick since video card, processors, RAM, hard drives, DVD-drives all need to be compatible with the motherboard (i.e. what socket, slots, or other things does the motherboard have?)
For example, the motherboard you picked out have DDR2 RAM slot, that means you can only use a DDR2 RAM (memory) so DDR, DDR3, etc. will not work with this motherboard.
For video card, you also need to look at what the motherboard has, there's PCI-Express and AGP slots, so what you need to do is find out what the motherboard has and match it.
Power supply, you need to match this with the case you're getting since there are different sizes for the case (like ATX, BTX, mATX) and there's also the motherboard power connector (ensuring that the motherboard connection and the power supply connector matches, there's 20, 24 and 20+4 pin)
For the processor, there's Intel and AMD, you have to ensure that the processor matches the motherboard again since these two has different sockets so if you buy one that isn't compatible, the processor won't fit and it also might damage both components. After you have picked out the company (Intel or AMD), you need to find out if the processor would actually fit onto the motherboard as if I can recall, Intel has quite a few socket sizes like LGA775.

This should get you started with the list.
Hope it helps.

Kamille

strawberry93

strawberry93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Kamille, I guess I was just getting a little stressed out about the assingment, and wanted an easy fix. :)
I will do my research and hit the web for my paper. Thanks for the pointers and push in the right direction!