Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing hard drive into old computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shaunym

shaunym

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a secondhand computer that had a formatted hard drive in it (no operating system in it). I was wanting to install XP pro. I have three XP cds (one is just XP, one is XP professional and the other is Publisher). I assumed that these were boot disks, however the CD drive did not recognise them as boot disks even when i change the boot oreder in the BIOS menu.

I then tried making the six floppy disk boot set which all worked up until number siz where it was processing the keyboard. An error along the lines of KBDUS.DLL is not a valid windows image or something similar.

The i tried taking out the old hard drive (which i suspected was faulty) and put one in from my other computer. However when i did that, A message came up saying we apologise for the inconveniece etc etc ect and said something about new hardware, which i had done. Then it gave me options to start in safe mode, normal mode, last known settings that worked etc. All of these options reset the computer but the same screen came up.

I am unbale to get into windows with my other hard drive, or to install with the cd or boot disks. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Closed: Duplicate.

Murray