Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AV Programs

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Am looking for a new AV program and checked reviews in PC World. Their highest recommendation was Shield Deluxe. Seems to be no way to try it for suitability. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this program?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I wouldn't be guided by the results of just one recommendation.
Shield Deluxe uses the Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0 scanning engine, whereas the current version of Kaspersky Antivirus is v7.0, which probably explains
why it's approx half the price compared to what Kaspersky charges. Moreover, Kaspersky offers free trials for all it's products whereas Shield appears not to offer any so the money you saved might not be a saving at all if you don't like it or it performs badly.

Personally I would go for the latest version of the real thing from Kaspersky, and indeed that's what I use (the full security suite, actually). I would heartily recommend it to anyone. I certainly couldn't recommend Shield, not only because I never used it, but also because they want your money
before you've tried it. No decent software developer operates like that.

Edited by pip22, 28 April 2008 - 11:58 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
That is the main drawback I saw re the Shield - no way to try it. Will check out Kaspersky that you spoke of - want to try an AV before spending money on it. Thanks so much for verification of my thoughts on subject. Appreciate it very much.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nondaj...

While Shield Deluxe is, indeed, a good application, might I suggest that you also look into ESET Smart Security. It has a free trial and I have found it to be an outstanding security application. It's not expensive for the protection it provides. I've been recommending their NOD32 Anti-virus for a long time and will continue to do so as long as they keep putting out applications of this quality.

wannabe1

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hello Wannabe1 - been awhile since we talked. Thanks so much for suggestion - and am about to download free trial for AV program.

Re donation - happy to. I do not use credit/debit cards (recently had ID cmpromised:( can I send a check to an address?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No need to donate, nondaj...just let us know what you think of ESET's offering. I think you'll find it not only an extremely effective application, but that it's very light on system resources, as well. I hope you like it as much as I do (I have it on all of my machines).

Re: ID compromise...been there/done that... :)

Good to see you again... :)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Likewise re seeing you again. Do not feel so picked on since you 'been there, done that'. It's the pits isn't it! Off to try ESET - will keep you posted. And thanks again. Still can donate - do not like to be a free loader :)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
have downloaded new AV program but little confused by update situation. First, got error that downloaded updates were corrupted. Looked around for help but lost in maze of info.

Returned and tried updates again - this time got message, updates not needed. But below this is notation that no updates have been run yet.

Remain confused though 'status' says my pc is fully protected.

Can advise?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ESET automatically updates after it installs so it was busy updating when you told it to update. The first update took priority as it was scheduled by the install so the second update failed. The first update installed correctly and the application is telling you all is well. It will auto update at least daily or as new threats are discovered...providing there is an internet connection. It will auto update whenever there is a connection if you are not always online.

You're good to go...enjoy the test drive.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK all understood so off and running. So far so good - seems easy to use.

BTW - just to be on safe side - if I should suddenly disappear (which is not likely) just know recently had med emergency and so far both I and Dr. not sure what caused same. All right one minute and down the next but not a stroke. Was on new meds and my money is on that factor - waiting lab results right now. Meds nowadays more hazardous than the condition one has:)

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Update - still alive and ESET working quite well. It appears to be quietly doing its job without interference from me - like that. Are there any other parts of this software I should consider? Am using Windows firewall.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you installed ESET Smart Security, it should have installed a firewall, as well. If you installed only the ESET NOD32 Anti-virus, then you should also try the Security application.

You can find out which firewall is actually in use by double clicking the ESET icon in the system tray. Under the "Protection Status" area, it will show a green check next to each component that's in use. Then open Control Panel and double click on the "Windows Firewall" icon. If ESET shows it's firewall as active, the Windows Firewall should show as off (Not protecting your machine). The ESET firewall is better than the Windows Firewall...in my opinion.

ESET's "install it and forget it" application of protection is great. It will let you know if it detects a threat with a pop-up warning giving information about the threat along with a recommended course of action. It also provides the option of a manual scan for those times you want to check things out for yourself. I rate this Security Suite as among the very best available.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just checked and have only the anti-virus so will look into Smart Security. All your advice and suggestions have been great so far so will consider the firewall. Mind my asking how one judges which firewall is better?

Have heard windows firewall not all that great and then I turn around and someone tells me the Windows firewall is best for windows. Not sure what one should consider when trying to decide on a firewall.

Yes, the 'set it and foget it' part of ESEt NOD32 AV is most attractive so enjoying that very much. Glad you caught my post and responded. :)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
This question should perhaps be a new post but not sure since the warning sign I received talked about recently installed software - only recently installed software has been the new ESET NOD32 AV program. However, find it difficult to believe that caused anything. If incorrect post here please move to appropriate site.

Problem:
Was answering email when suddenly windows shut down and I faced a black screen with dire warnings of a problem and need to shut windows down to prevent damage to the PC; further indicated that if it occurred again to restart windows in safe mode. Then it gave me a long string of numbers, some letters, and figures. I should have copied all info but was so shaken by the warning I hurriedly shut PC down entirely.

Restarting of PC did not necessitate using safe mode and so far no further problems/warnings have been forthcoming. And AV program is functioning just fine.

Questions: what has happened when this occurs?
what should I do if it occurs again?
how can one prevent such occurrences?
some weeks ago installed Nero burning program and RegScrubXP - might these
be culprits?

Review of my system:
Computer Specs:
Dell XPS400 Dimension
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony
F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
GWA4164B
Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800
Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Audio CODEC

Thanks for all info that can be provided.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if the Event Viewer will tell us which application caused the problem.

Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, click on "Applications". In the right pane, look for any error massages (displayed next to a red icon) and list any that correspond to the time your machine crashed.