Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't Detect my WD HDD

• Please log in to reply

Mryuck

Mryuck

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everyone I am new to this forum.

Here is my situation. I tried to read a few of the threads to see if this was addressed, I have not found on Identical to this. I have 3 HDD's hooked up, 1 IDE works fine and 2 SATA. 1 SATA an 80gig WD caviar works fine, and is recognized. The other a WD 160gig SATA is not working so fine. It is recognized on the boot, and it is recognized by my raid tool. The problem is that it is not recognized in My Computer on Windows XP. This drive worked fine until I reformatted Windows last week.

I have tried:

reinstall the SATA drivers, no good
switch the SATA cable and slot on my MB, no good
tried running it as a solo HD, just got Diskboot Failure (there is no operating system)
I dont think there is anything to do with the Jumpers, since SATA doesn't require and also it worked in this format before (not sure if it was in this order)

any help would be appreciated :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Mryuck welcome to G2G... :)
did you configure the drive in the bios as RAID...
try setting the drive to IDE...

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it is a SATA drive. I didn't think setting it to IDE would do anything?

Also I messed up and used my Raid tool to do something with Arrays (a friend told me to do it - he knows nothing lmao) but now neither HDD is found.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you plan on using RAID the drives need to be the same manufacture and size...
go back into the bios and set the drives as IDE...

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok thanks I did that, but still nothing. I don't want to use RAID actually I just want both harddrives to be recognized again. neither is showing now. and the bios configuration is in IDE.

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok so here is the latest. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall both HDDs. I have changed the setting in the Bios to IDE. They both show up in my Device Manager, and on the boot screen, and in RAID tool (not using it anymore) but they do not show up in "My Computer"

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will need to go to the device manager...and uninstall both drives and reboot...windows will reinstall them and reinstall the drivers for them

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I un-installed them and rebooted, they have not returned in my My Computer, but they are back in my Device Manager. So still no solution

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
start Disk Management..
Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start... click Run... type in compmgmt.msc...and then click OK.
In the console tree... click Disk Management. Your disks and volumes should appear in a graphical view and list view....
what do you see

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is what I got looks kinda funny

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Edited by Mryuck, 30 April 2008 - 08:21 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is there any data on either of the sata drives...

if no you can initialize them and start using them...Unallocated space will have no drive letter. To get it working again...go back to that display and right click on it ( the sata drive) to create a NTFS partition and then quick format it.

Edited by happyrck, 30 April 2008 - 08:44 AM.

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh! I see where you're going with this, I am formatting a partition right now, since it is unallocated. I'll tell you how it goes.

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
happyrck thanks so much I never knew you could even format from here. I am still in the process of doing it. Hope this work.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it will... :)

Mryuck

Mryuck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
1 for 1 so far. I'm sure the other will work :) thanks again how do I put a resolved tag on this?