Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How tricky is installing XP over Vista on a laptop?

• Please log in to reply

temple-Lobe

temple-Lobe

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I want to install windows XP over Vista on a Compaq Presario laptop F500 (less than a year old) and I'm worried about XP drivers and any other problems I might encounter.

How difficult is it?

Iíve installed an operating system before and reformatted the HD on a normal PC - which is what I want to do now, but on a laptop - this sounds dodgy from what Iíve heard so far Ė xp drivers, sound drivers etc.

Any help appreciated

Compaq Presario F500
nVIDIA C51
high definition audio controller

network adaptor:
broadcom802.11b/g WLAN
NVIDIA nForce networking controller

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Look the model number up on the manufacturer's website and see what drivers are offered for which versions of Windows before you take the plunge. Download the lot and burn them to disk if any are available for XP. Formatting a laptop works in the same way as it does a desktop.

Eagle&Child

Eagle&Child

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My husband did this and had a lot of trouble and finally re-installed VISTA. Make sure you have a good VISTA installation disk.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Rather than replacing Vista with XP, install XP as a Dual boot, that way you have access to Vista to download any drivers you may need for XP, unless you can download them all ahead of time and put them on CD or flash drive.

Even then, I would recommend a dual boot setup. See here for information: http://www.pronetwor...about88231.html

temple-Lobe

temple-Lobe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Many, many thanks - don't know why I didn't think of that! always the case, eh? Dual booting is the easy answer...

Edited by temple-Lobe, 01 May 2008 - 01:35 AM.