Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microphone stopped working- don't understand why

• Please log in to reply

shosh

shosh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an AMD Sempron 2400 computer mother board VGA640B AMD. Default Device for recording and playback is: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (Wave) and the hardware is Vinyl AC'97 Codex Combo Driver WDM. The speakers work fine and I can hear those I am communicating with on Skype-like programs, CD's and internet. BUT I cannot record (be heard by others) nor do I get a playback. I checked the microphone on a friends computer and it works fine. I also pluged his microphone into my computer but it doesn't work either. My microphone is a simple play and plug (plugged into the back of the hard disc in the pink socket) microphone that I have been using for years. What could be wrong?? I am not a computer maven, but manage to get things to work most of the time. I desperately want to be able to speak to my son again on Skype or Messenger. Can I download a new device... new version of the Vinyl AC'97 or what.... when I have the computer do a check of the hardware it says that everything is working???? thanks to anyone who can help.
Shosh

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First thing that comes to mind it that it is muted. it's also possible that the port is shot...

remember sound in volume control isn't necessarily the same as volume OUT control...

shosh

shosh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for your reply. it is definitely note muted. how can i check that it is indeed the port and how then can i correct the problem thanksi

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Have you tried updating the drivers for your sound card?

newbikekiller

newbikekiller

• Pip
  • 7 posts
A microphone port may become physically damaged if the cord is yanked out, or even just removed and reinserted several times. I see this all the time and I think it's probably fairly likely depending on how you use your machine.

There are two checks to see if you have physical damage

1.) Wiggle the mic cable gently in the speaker port, notice how tight that connection feels, next wiggle the mic cable gently in the mic port - is there any difference. If there is significant difference, you will need to take your mobo in to have a new port soldered in OR you will have to figure out another way to plug a mic into your computer (possibly a USB unit out there I don't know!)

2.) With the mic cable plugged into the mic port, turn your speakers on and use a program that allows you to hear your mic through your speakers. Talk into the mic while gently wiggling the cord, if your voice is going in and out - you probably have a busted mic port.

shosh

shosh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks newbikekiller - i tried both and apparently it is NOT the port. the mic cable fits in very snug and there is not voice in/out - just no voice at all when i talk into mic and hear it over speakers. i am going to try reconman's suggestion to download an update for the sound driver... wish me luck....