Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN split and shared resource

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
OK, no VLANs here...

Would this configuration make it so that certain users with access rights to the database server from BOTH LANs can access it while still using their own LAN resources (their ISP, printers, etc)?

Posted Image

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to accomplish access to both of the DB ports on the server you could trunk the two switches (as suggested) together...then either add routes to both routers that list the other subnet....OR add secondary IP addresses to the machines that would need access to both interfaces (you'd still need to trunk the switches since the only link between them is that server).....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a side note....i've never seen a 26 port switch hehehe

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

as a side note....i've never seen a 26 port switch hehehe

The switches are cheaper ASUS GigaX 1024p managed switches... And yes, they have 24 ports and two extra Gigabit ports on them...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wasn't doubting their existence....just never seen em eheh...so the other ports are 10/100 and those are the only to gig ones? or are they all gig ports and you get 26 for the price of 24 (8.333333333333332 more!)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what are you using for a router (not sure if I really want to hear the answer)?

Notch, I don't know how your network functions. Between security issues, lack of redunancy, ..... loose one thing and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

your going to need to be very careful with your ip routes, default routes, gateways, and so forth. I think you can get the last scenerio to work.......

thinks this would make a good lab for school..... but my skills test is about that hard