Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winspywareprotect

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
My friend has this rogue program called winspywareprotect. I have tried everything to remove it including Smitfaud. I have closed sys restore, went into the registry everywhere. When I boot out of safemode after using smitfraud it is still there but I can't find traces anywhere. Need some help here Thanks

Advertisements

askey127

askey127

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 93 posts
Hi Picky,
Please have a HijackThis log from that machine posted in this thread, and it will receive direct help.
askey127

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, I had forgot about Hijack this. I just ran the program and found the program and have removed it.. I have rebooted and find no trace of it now. I will turn on the windows restore again. Thanks again .Picky

askey127

askey127

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 93 posts
Picky,
It's a good idea for the future to NEVER turn OFF the System restore, in spite of bad advise by AntiVirus makers, etc.
If something goes wrong, it's better to have an infected System Restore than None at all.
askey127

Edited by askey127, 29 April 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Askey127, That is really good advice. I have never really thought of it that way. I have restored hundreds of systems and have been lucky. I guess you stand to loose allot more that a virus. The only problem I see is the virus duplicating in system restore. Thanks Bruce