Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Would a 2-years old computer run effectively a modern graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

kerensky

kerensky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Since my old graphics card decided to go for recycling :), I decided to go for a new card, something like:

Sapphire VGA ATI Radeon HD 3870, 512 MB GDDR4, 256-bit, 775/1125 Mhz, HDCP, 2x DL-DVI, PCI-E Lite Retail
11122-05-20R / active cooling/ dual slot

My PC configuration:

Power Supply: LC Power LC6550GP V2.0 Green Power PC Power Supply 550 W ATX PFC 14cm
Main board: MB Abit AN8 Ultra 939 ATX
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.01GHz
Memory: G.SKILL PC3200 F1-3200PHU2-1GBZX 1024MB kit DDR400, CL 2,0-3-3-6 @ 2,65-2,85 V
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO 2 (square) 256Mb GDDR3 Ram PCI-Express VGA / TV-Out / DVI-I – currently dead :)

Is it a good idea to put such a video card in my PC? Or would it be just wasting of money?
Could a minor upgrade, like extra 1 Gb of memory, improve the situation in the case?

Now my PC is running with an ancient PCI card :) S3 with 4 Mb), suitable for nothing but going to internet and writing this text… So, I need to make a decision fast.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
kerensky

Edited by kerensky, 29 April 2008 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
You can definitely add that graphics card without a problem. I'd also suggest picking up an extra gig of ram to improve performance. Although, you are a little limited with your CPU, it should be fine.

kerensky

kerensky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for advice.

But now I am a bit concerned about adding an “extra gig of ram”: I’ve looked through some Abit forums and found out that my MB Abit AN8 Ultra is not a piece of cake. Here is this “dual channel” stuff. I did not go so much into details, but what I’ve got it should be two memory modules of the same type and size in DIMM1+DIMM2 and in DIMM3+DIMM4 and in that case it will be much cooler than having an odd number of the modules.

However, several guys had problems installing an extra memory on this type of mobo. They found out that the extra pair should be not only by the same type and size like the first pair; it should be also from the same manufacturer! But even in this case when all 4 slots are occupied you’ll need to down-speed your DDR400 to 333MHz:
http://forum.abit-us...p/t-110400.html
(the system discussed in the thread is very similar to my one)

So, now the question is: would the memory up-date be worth the time/money input?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
1 GB of ram total is gods plenty for that mobo ...they should be the same size and from the same manufacture to run dual channel...look in the mobo manual to see what slots to put the sticks in to get the dual channel configuration ...
2 sticks of 512

kerensky

kerensky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

1 GB of ram total is gods plenty for that mobo ...they should be the same size and from the same manufacture to run dual channel...look in the mobo manual to see what slots to put the sticks in to get the dual channel configuration ...
2 sticks of 512

Do you mean it does not make so much sense (in terms of increasing the performance) to add an extra RAM to that 1 Gb I already have there?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...on the ram..
you will do better on putting that money on a better video card...IMHO

kerensky

kerensky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

yep...on the ram..
you will do better on putting that money on a better video card...IMHO

Ok, then what do you think about this “Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3870, 512 MB GDDR4, 256-bit, 775/1125 Mhz…”?

HD3870.jpg

The cooler rules, I guess :)
I am thinking of overclocking (some time later when I’ll do a major upgrade to my PC or build a new one). The price of this pretty chick is around $260, however.

So I would like to know your opinion on this.
Or could you probably suggest something better for that price?
Thanks in advance.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you would be better answered if you posed that question in the games forum or look for reviews on the latest and greatest cards..like here...at the tech report...they benchmark and even overclock the cards for a side by side comparison..

Edited by happyrck, 03 May 2008 - 11:54 AM.

kerensky

kerensky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the link.
I'll try to figure out which is the best for me.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thank you for the link.
I'll try to figure out which is the best for me.

thats part of the fun with upgrading computers...you learn about the hardware your going to buy and its direct competition and find what fits your needs the best...before you plunk down your hard earned dollars...that way you'll know you got the most bang for your buck and the process will be added to your growing knowledge of computers in general...have fun... :)