Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Disconnected

• Please log in to reply

datababe.2

datababe.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I did all that. When I attempted to connect to our family network it once again connected with the message that there is "limited or no connectivity". I clicked on details to see the connection info and it says:

Physical Address: 00-15-00-14-AA-1E
IP Address: 169.254.111.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Next, I closed that screen and selected the "repair" button. The message from this action was: Windows cannot renew your IP address.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
When you have been trying to connect to the wireless network, have the other computers in your house been turned on? If so, try turning one off and see if it makes a difference.

datababe.2

datababe.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Gravity Gripp,

I got the same problem with my laptop (about media disconnected) yesterday morning. I was beginning to think the whole house was infected with some type of computer crud!

I turned off every computer except the host. I called Comcast and asked them to reset the modem. Then when I tried the "problem laptop" it actually connected and successfully got an IP address. I have no idea what finally made the difference, but thank you so much for hanging in there with us until we got a successful resolution. I also asked the Comcast person how many computers the modem was supposed to be able to handle and she said it was 4 or 5 with a router and another 4 with a wireless connection for a total of 8 or 9. We did not have that many connected. We all appreciate your input and my brother-in-law wanted me to send on his appreciation to you as well (it's his computer that has been offline for the past two weeks).

What a terrific site this is that I can get help from strangers. Thanks again.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It's good to hear that you've got the laptop working. For future reference, I think the problem you are running into is that your wireless router is limiting the number of computers that can connect at a single time. Typically, this is limited by the number of IP addresses that can be handed out by the router. If you run into this problem again, just bump that number up. You can always start a new topic here if you need help with that.

:)