Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Kids Computer Stuck on Windows boot screen

• Please log in to reply

fthful2

fthful2

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
My kids computer is stuck on the Window boot screen with the little blue bar that just keeps going and going and going. You get the point. I have never experienced this before and kind of at a loss. I have checked the best I could for malware and viruses and looks clean. Oh, forgot, I can boot to "safe mode". My first guess would be video card then maybe memory. But open for professional help!

Thanks much
fthful2

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you tried "last known good configuration" instead, from the same menu you used to get into safe mode?

If that doesn't work, can you remember anything having been installed recently?, particularly a device driver but also
any software because some applications also install drivers related to a service or a process rather than a device.
Sometimes they can be incompatible or badly written and stop Windows loading, but if you can get into safe mode, the software
or driver responsible can be uninstalled. The trick is knowing what the culprit is, which is why I ask if you
recently installed something just prior to the problem.

Edited by pip22, 30 April 2008 - 03:28 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
One other possibility I just read that someone else found out by trial and error. If you have an external USB drive attached (may also apply to other USB devices) while Windows is up and running, then you shut down, if that USB drive is not attached to the PC when you next re-boot it could cause Windows to hang at the progress bar screen.

fthful2

fthful2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks for the reply!

As far as I know nothing has been added. I would have been the one adding it. I already went through and uninstalled any programs that were not on their when it was running fine. I have unplugged all the usb ports that are not on the board. Unplugged everything. Even remove the video card, reboot, shut down, installed card and tried again. All prior to asking. Didn't try last known good config yet. Did try a XP repair though (Reinstalled XP).

fthful2
:)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Did try a XP repair though (Reinstalled XP).

did you repair or did you reinstall xp...they are different...

boot into safe mode and try try chkdsk...
Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can most often repair numerous minor Windows problems you may have experienced . Many people regularly run chkdsk as a part of their overall computer maintenance plan.

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd ...
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing the following command where the cursor is blinking:
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press Enter...

5. a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press Enter...
7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press Enter... to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

Edited by happyrck, 30 April 2008 - 04:17 PM.

fthful2

fthful2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Happyrck,

Thanks for the reply.

After checking wires and such I tried to fixboot and a fixmbr. Didn't work.
I did a reinstall but without a reformat. Didn't work

I didn't think of trying the chkdsk. I'll do that and post back.

Thanks
fthful2

fthful2

fthful2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I decided to just try a reformat and make a fresh one. Everything that is of importance to them is on a second drive in case this happened. So I just have to get it backup and running then load programs. I'll let you know how the out come is.

Thanks
fthful2

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if formatting (not the quick option) and a fresh install fails...it the drive thats bad..

fthful2

fthful2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
The reformat worked wonders! Have something interesting below. I think all of it was related. Weird!

Someone wrote a warning on the front page of GTG about 3 weeks ago about router hijacks. Well all 3 of our computers do the same thing and my wifes wouldn't let me logon at all to GTG. It said no such user. That there got me thinking! All 3 computers are clean and the kids I just got done reformating it and installing bare essentials just to see if it was program interference. It wasn't but still did the same thing and had to login two time to get to GTG Geek U.

Well long story short. Unplugged my cable modem. Removed battery backup for about 15 minutes. Unplugged router for a few minutes. Plugged back in and did a hard reset on it. Then went and restored all my settings, changed numbers and then the password. After that I plugged the modem back in and reset all the computers. Fixed. So I belive my router was hijacked and rerouted us through [bleep]!

fthful2

P.S. My ISP service provider said there is no way in [bleep] that that can happen or anyone hack a router! OK so it was all plugged up with crap. I don't really care but it was messed up and can't explain where it was taking me too.