Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with RAM!

• Please log in to reply

drpatents

drpatents

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a HP Pavillion I use at work. 1.3ghz system. Model x1938. Better than nothing, but Not Mine!

It orig came with 128 ram.

We had 128+256 of ram in it. It was running Ok, but slow. Needed to up it to 512.

Bought another 256 to add to the other already installed 256. Both are pc100-222-620 chips.

Seated both chips and turned on pc. Didn't hear any audiable beeps at start up. Ckd & power was on.

Had system on for about 30secs and truned off power. Went to pull chips out and they were quit warm. Almost hot??

Put the orig one in by itself and tried to power on. Nothing. Had to pull power cord to reset. Tried power with back light on and as soon as I did the system safety tripped power again to OFF.

Tried second chip and got same results. With this not working I had both of the 256 chips out and tried the 128 by itself.

Reset power, turned it on and got no audiables again. System on for about 30 secs. Shut it OFF.

Pulled chip out and it was hot. Now I'm really confused. :) Please help with any comments or advice.

Thnks. RL

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well the board may be gone ( or maybe the power supply ) many name brands really skimp on the PSU ( power supply ) another thing to look at is the slots... are the pins in the memory slots bent or misaligned... covered in dust? you said it was an hp... does the power supply have a green led on the back? if so is it blinking? if so the power supply is probably shot

drpatents

drpatents

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey shard92! THANKS for the reply. Really appreciate it!

The HP does have a green light on the back. It is on constant, not blinking I'll ck the pins, but when I extracted the RAM chips and reinserted them, they went in fairly smooth. I've added and tried other chips b4. This was the first time I've incurred any problems.

My main ? is "Could the RAM that I had just purchased have been the culprit in my problems?" Everything was fine until I added the new RAM. Now like I had stated when I even put the 128RAM chip the chip gets hot. What is causing this.

Any comments on checking the system out. Like pulling everything apart to do items checks one at a ttime, ie: MB, HD, etc. You know listening for error beeps.

Any reccommendations at this pt will help!!!

Thanks!
RL@drpatents

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yes it's possible that the memory you got was bad and that it shorted something... I would recommend unplugging everything except the video ( if it's seperate ) and one stick of memory and try and boot... try the memory in all the different slots... Also if you haven't be sure to unplug the computer completely..... it may be that there was a short in the memory that tripped the power supply and until you remove power completely it won't come back... if none of that works try removing all memory and turn computer on and see if it beeps.... if no beeps you may have a bad motherboard...

drpatents

drpatents

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Shard92 for the suggestions!

Sorry it took a while for me to reply. I'll take the unit apart and check each piece out like you suggested.

Hopefully I'll get to the root of my problem.

I really appreciate your quick replies!

Ray.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

s try removing all memory and turn computer on and see if it beeps.... if no beeps you may have a bad motherboard...

could also be power supply ...
when you installed the ram the first time was the computer unplugged from the wall...there is always power going to the mobo when its plugged into the wall