Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not boot

• Please log in to reply

wytygr

wytygr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I apologize if this is the wrong forum or not. I have a PC that runs XP. I had a virus/spyware that was not letting me log into Windows or Safe-Mode. I removed the spyware/virus and now the PC will not boot. It blue screens with "Cannot find componet" + "The application can not find basenev32, try reinstalling the application and trying again"

I think that the sypware/virus was removed but left stuff behind. Now I can not get into Windows at all. My question is this, is there a way to look at the boot file to see what the applications the pc is trying to load on startup? maybe so I can disable it or something from a different pc.

Thanks for you time

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello wytygr,
Sounds to me like the virus/spyware had corrupted/infected some components needed for your system to start properly. I first suggest try running the last good configuration by repeatedly pressing F8 before Windows Boots. If that doesn't work, I would obtain a copy of Windows XP and run recovery console and replace those missing files on your system. Be sure to record what file or files you are missing on a notepad or piece of paper. I apologize that I am limited on time for this post and I am unable to provide you with a thorough tutorial on how to run recovery console, but it's basically copying files over using command prompt.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I had a virus/spyware that was not letting me log into Windows or Safe-Mode. I removed the spyware/virus and now the PC will not boot

if you couldn't log into Windows or Safe-Mode...how did you remove the virus...
can you get into your bios...if so try setting the default or safe settings...usually F5 then save and exit usually F10 but read the screens to be sure...
no joy...
then you will have to do a repair...instructions are here..

Edited by happyrck, 30 April 2008 - 01:38 PM.

wytygr

wytygr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Basically I mounted the drive via USB to my other computer and ran a virus scan on the drive. It removed viruses, but then will not boot. I believe what ever was on it was loading at startup. It is just weird because the component is called 'basenev32' but google search shows nothing at all. I may have accidently deleted the wrong file for a program that loads by default. But not knowing what that program is I am at a loss. I was just hoping that there was a file that I could edit on the drive that controlled the start-up programs...:)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
mount the drive by usb to the other computer and run chkdsk /f/r on it...
or you can try to repair iwindows...