Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
We changed our ISP from dial-up to satellite, WildBlue. At times WildBlue seemed a tad slow, so a few weeks ago I upgraded to the next level. At first the increase in speed was noted, now it seems as though it is back to the original level. I have tested on Bandwidth place, Wugnet, Speakeasy and PCPitstop and come up with 4 different download numbers, some as far apart as 841 to 1051, for the same day and time. When looking for similar questions on this forum I saw this reply,

"You should learn to not to say "download speed" when referring to a figure which denotes 'bandwidth' (and vice versa). The two terms are technically not interchangeable even though many people talk as though they are the same. It's a recipe for confusion & misunderstanding. No offence intended. "

Now I am totally confused as to how to read and understand the numbers provided. When I speak with WildBlue I would like to have the correct terminology. What is the best site to log ones internet speed? Thank you.

Nancy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i always use speakeasy...i like their interface...all of the "bandwidth" calculators use the same methodology....they test how long it takes to send you a trivial file...and how long it takes to get it back

while the terms bandwidth and download/upload speed are technically not the same....the usage of download/upload speed is fine in your case...since that's what you're concerned about...bandwidth pertains to the theoretical "width of the band" that you're using....I.E. how much your connection CAN sustain (in optimal conditions)...download/upload speed is a real time calculation of what your connection is CURRENTLY capable of....download/upload speed can be effected by many things that are outside of the realm of bandwidth (such as your PC specs, how many other people are connected to the server on the other end, how many people in your area are on the internet at the same time, even your modem's firmware revision).....

the disparate readings you're getting from various speed calculators are reflecting these items that effect your speed...if i go to speakeasy in about 30 minutes (12:00 noon eastern time) then my speed will read as 1.54 mbps up and down (i'm on a T1) because everyone is at lunch...but if i go to speakeasy at 1:00 i'll probably be in the 700K range because everyone has just gotten back from lunch and is hitting the internet...

your ISP should be able to give you a reasonable range of expected upload/download speeds (which you can usually find on their website.....if you can read really fine print)...

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I used Speakeasy this morning, they require an address and telephone number. But if we use a satellite, why would this be required?

N

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've NEVER had them "require" that info....i think they ask for that info on the side so they can sell you broadband (they sell broadband connections)

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
You are correct, they DO NOT require it. I just took the speedtest again.
You mentioned PC specs could affect internet connection speed. Could having too many "cookies" affect the speed?

N

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes and no.....it shouldn't effect the testing....but cookies take up space so if you've got too much stuff in your HD taking up too much space....it could slow things down...but it's not exactly likely that cookies will slow your surfing down....you can always clear them out and see if it makes a difference