Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

losing packet pinging default gateway

• Please log in to reply

loketje

loketje

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi geekpeople,

I have two pc's and a wireless router (laptop) connected to a router connected to a cable modem. All pc's have Windows XP pro SP2. Surfing the internet and sharing works fine on all pc's. The machines communicate through wideclient software to provide services for flight simulator on the main computer like real time weather, air traffic control, Google Earth flight following and a few others. When flying I can see the connection to the other two pc's in the menu bar of FS2004. This worked flawlessly until two days ago when I saw the connection resetting every 5 seconds and noticed loss of connectivity with my wideclient apps. I did a XP automatic diagnosis on the main pc and it came up with :

DefaultIPGateway = 192.168.123.254(Same Subnet) (FAILED)
Pinging 192.168.123.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.123.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
Ping statistics for 192.168.123.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Diagnosing the other two PC's did not turn up any problems.

I did a malware scan with Anti-Malware and it found a Vundo trojan which was removed.
The problem persisted.
I tried switching cables but without success.
I tried another NIC which I had laying around but i still have the same problem.

I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks very much in advance

Martin

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My suggestion is if you changed hardware and it has not had an affect, then the issue is more than likely lying around windows. Go ahead and download this tool, Winsock

Choose RegBkup first and save your current registry files some place. Then select fix. Reboot, let the connection settle down. Go to Control Panel --> Network Connections --> Right Click on the connection --> Select Repair.

See if this helps out.

loketje

loketje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for your reply.
When I try to backup the registry I get the fol.owing messages :

Error saving file C:\ERDNT\security !
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\software !
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\system !
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\default !
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\sam !
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\users\s-1-5-20\ntuser.dat
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\users\s-1-5-20\usrclass.dat
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\users\s-1-5-19\ntuser.dat
Error saving file C:\ERDNT\users\s-1-5-219\usrclass.dat

and a couple more that are too long to type.

It doesn't look as if the registry is backed up with this tool although I'm able te backup the registry normally with regedit.

cheers

Martin

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would just back it up with regedit, then run the tool. Either way Ive never had to restore a registry but I dont want to chance it.

loketje

loketje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I'm sorry to have to report that this fix slowed my computer down to an absolute crawl.
I'm writing this on my laptop because my computer takes ages to open anything. I have tried restarting a few times but every time the desktop takes about 10 minutes to load so I'll probably have to restore my registry if I can.

cheers

Martin

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Definitely go ahead and import your saved registry back. Ive never had that result happen before.

loketje

loketje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was unable to restore the registry due to it's slowness. Thank god I made a Ghost image a week ago.
Is there anything else I can try?
in
cheers

Martin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computers

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

loketje

loketje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is getting rather elusive. I tried all the suggestions and although xp diagnostics says "passed" (but it tends to do that every now and then) flightsim still shows that I'm losing the connection to my other computers every 5 seconds or so.
Are there still other possibilities I can try ?

cheers

Martin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
maybe some else has something to try...I think its a router issue but I'm not sure..