Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network

• Please log in to reply

franc

franc

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been reading problems here untill I am getting cross eyed , but haven't seen anything exactly describing what I am experiencing. I have a home network set up with 3 desktops and 1 laptop (wireless) I am trying to add my wifes computer to the workgroup so I can print from the laptop to her printer. I can print to the other 3 PCs The problem I am having is, I cannot add her computer to the home network. I have run the Wizard several times. It takes all the info, says I have succesfully added the PC, but is not showing up on any of the others or hers, either. Micro soft support is about as useful as udders on a bull.....I'm being too kind. Other sources cover stuff more complex that what I am experiencing, so mine must be a pretty simple thing....I just can't figure it out. My network consists of a Linksys Router, a Linksys wirelss adapter, which also feeds one PC. The other PCs are hard wired to the router. (my wifes', included) All can access the internet just fine.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hey Franc and welcome :)

To my understanding (and please let me know if I'm not accurate) you have a new PC to connect to the network, but it just won't connect, right? Now, I'm going to make a little assumption here and say that the new computer cannot see ANY network resources.

Here's the first thing I want you to check.

(1) First, go ahead and jump on a computer which is already connected to the network. I'd like for you to first locate the My Computer icon. Please realize that I'm not insulting your intelligence, but that I'm pointing out that there are two normal locations for My Computer to be located. For some people they have the icon on their desktop, and for others they click on the Start button first, and then click on My Computer on the right side of the menu that appears.

(2) Now, let's right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties. A new window should appear.

(3) Click on the Computer Name tab.

(4) See where it says Workgroup: inside that window now? Write the workgroup name down on a sticky note.

(5) Now I'd like for you to go on this new computer, and do the same thing. Do you find that the workgroup is different between the two computers? If so, please tell me in your reply, and I'll get that straightened out for you.

Let me know if you have any questions!

franc

franc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks

Thanks, Facedown. I am not in the least offended by your questioning my intelligence. I have done all that you suggested before you instructed me to do so. The Wizard shows that I should be connected to my home network work group (MSHOME) but it is just not on the "My network Places"...or on any of the other computers. I've run the Wizard several times and as I said in my original post, it appears that it should be there. I have used the floppy I created when I set up my network and also have used the WinXP Home CD. Since 2 of my PCs are running XPpro and the others are running XPhome, I have seen on this forum, that a conflict exists in sharing files. I don't care about sharing files, I just want to be able to use the printer on the PC I am attempting to add to MSHOME. I have 3 printers and can print to each of them from the other PCs. Someone once suggested that I should sell the printers and buy a printer with network capabilities. I'd rather not do that, for personal reasons.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So the other computer was on the same workgroup as the others? I know the wizard says one thing, but I'd like to make sure. Also, what type of printer do you have? There may be drivers on the manufacturer's website which would allow for it to be shared on the network. Also, can other computers connect this printer over the network, or no?

franc

franc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have 3 printers: canon i350 attatched to a Power Spec(can print from laptop (xp home), canon bjc6000 connected to a self built pentium, (EpsonStylus cx3810 connected toa NPI pentium.can print from laptop to all these printers and the Power Spec and the other to pentiums can print to each other....and are seen on each others My Network Places. The two pentiums are running XPpro.
The computer I am trying to add to the home network is a Compaq Pavillion with a Canon i560. Even though the Compaq doesn appear in My Network Places, I tried to downoad a driver for the i560 but it wouldn't install. I got an error message from the canon dowload site saying the driver couldn't be installed because a printer port couldn't be found. I don't know how to install a printer port on my laptop since it has no printer attached to it. when I added the other 3 printers, it never asked for a printer port. I assume this is because the Compaq is not in the work group. The problem still remains....why can't I add the Compaq to the work group? I had no problem building the home network prior to teying to add this computer. I know I am probably overlooking something real simple.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If they're all on the same workgroup, they should be able to see each other.

Let's see what's happening...

Before you follow these instructions, please turn each computer on, and connect them to the network if possible.

(1) On any computer connected to the network, click on the Start button, and then click on Run.

(2) Inside the Run box, type cmd and press the enter key.

(3) The Command Prompt will now appear. Please type the following without the quotation marks... "net view" and press the enter key.

(4) Take a moment to count the number of computers that appear (the registered computer name will display). If you have six computers connected to that network, then there will be six computer names listed (the computer you're running this test with is included in the list).

Let me know if the computers are all accounted for. If not, it could be a setting within the network.

If you have any questions, let me know.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Have you already shared the printer from the newest computer? If you have nothing shared, it won't show up in network neighborhood. You can try connecting directly to that computer from any of the other networked computers by going to the start menu and selecting run, then type: \\computername with the name of the computer you're trying to add. It will either say it can't find it or it will open a window showing the resources available on that computer.

If it doesn't connect, from 1 of the networked computers, run start | run | and type: cmd in the box and hit enter. You should be at a dos window. Type: ipconfig it should give you an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. Then do the same with the computer you're trying to add to the network and ensure the subnet mask and default gateway are identical. The IP address should be almost identical with the exception of the last set of numbers. For example, if the IP on the 1st computer is 192.168.1.4, the computer you're trying to add should be 192.168.1.5 or 192.168.1.6 or something similar.

Good luck.