Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to e-mail from Words

• Please log in to reply

volcar

volcar

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I recently upgraded from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail and I am quite pleased with the upgrade, however, I am having one problem the nature of which is as follows. Prior to the upgrade I could create a document in Microsoft Words and e-mail the document directly from Words. I am no longer able to do so since upgrading to Windows Live Mail. As a consequence, I am using this medium to ascertain how I should proceed in order to restore the ability of being able to e-mail documents directly from Microsoft Words
As usual any and all suggestions/solutions will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi Volcar and welcome :)

I'd like to just verify with you that you ran your Hotmail account on Outlook Express in the past right?

Unless a user pays MSN a fee for POP access, Windows Live! addresses are only for use through a web browser.

Your question made me curious. I tried configuring Outlook Express with my Windows Live account to ensure that I'm giving you legit information, and have a look at this error message I received...

Posted Image

Sorry bud, looks like Hotmail/Windows Live! is not going to work for you the way you're hoping.

Here's my suggestion though, because I really do think there is value in being able to send e-mail right from Microsoft Word. I suggest opening a Google E-mail account (AKA Gmail) and using POP access with that account. Gmail allows for free POP access, so all you will need to do is open the account and configure Outlook Express to accept the signal. Allow me to break it down a bit to help you get through this quickly and painlessly. :)

(1) Open a Gmail account by clicking here.

(2) When you have opened your account and you login, you will see your inbox, with a welcome message.

(3) Click on the Settings link at your top-right.

(4) Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.

(5) Under the POP Download section Click on the radio button (forms a bullet point) next to Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded).

(6) Click on the Save Changes button.

(7) Next, it's time to configure Outlook Express to work with Gmail. Luckily, Gmail has a very detailed set of instructions prepared for you. Click here to have a peek.

Also, don't forget to remove the Hotmail account from Outlook Express, as it's now a "dud".

After this, everything should be just fine. Let me know if you require any further assistance! :)

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Facedown98,
Thanks for your input it's greatly appreciated. I took your advice on setting up a G-mail account and your instruction were followed to the letter, however I am still unable to e-mail from Microsoft word. I have therefore concluded that this feature is just not compatible with Windows Live mail. However, should you have any further suggestions you can advice me accordingly. Thanks again!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You removed any other e-mail accounts from Outlook Express, right?

volcar

volcar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
No I only removed my Hotmail account. Should I have removed all accounts in Outlook Express?