Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosting online games on LAN Possible?

• Please log in to reply

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hey guys

I ran into a little problem the other day. I couldn't host online games. I enabled Ipforwarding in the reg. and turned off the firewall in xp. I also enabled the realplayer ports that are being used to run the game. I opened the game ports on the router and on the comp and Still got nothing. i'm trying to run Age of Empires 2 conquers expansion. Anyone have any ideas. I've thought of just about everything. I reconfigured my comp and router but no one can still get through. Let me know of any of your ideas. thanks

David

Advertisements

garf12

garf12

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Small chance, but your ISP could have the ports needed blocked.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I checked eveything, and opened all the ports I think I needed. I just don't know what to say. I hope someone has an idea of what could be wrong. I've pretty much searched everywhere about hosting games through a lan and did eveything I found from other forums. No help. Thanks for responding though.

David

happytoxin

happytoxin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
What brand/model router are you using?

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Um

It's a D-link wireless 802.11b router. The model number is DI-514. Thanks again

David

If there's anything else you need to know, just post it.

happytoxin

happytoxin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just so I know exactly what you've done so far...

Try going here (D-link's official Knowledge Base). I know the game is wrong, but your game was not listed, and I believe this should have similar settings.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Great

I seted up the game ports before. but they aren't correct. I'll try this out and see what I get

Thanks again for your help

David

happytoxin

happytoxin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just please let me know if it worked. Thanks. :tazz:

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
K

I got it to host through thezone (msn game hosting site for AOE2) I haven't been able to get ip to ip hostings over a internet connection. It works though, so I'm happy. Ill check out about the virtual server. I got the hosting to work through zone by opening up some more game ports used by AOE's Multiplayer. Let you know how the virtual server works though. K.

David

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hey

Does anyone have any more ideas bout my LAN prob. I can't host Ip to Ip. I enabled ip forwarding, turned off the firewall, and opened directplay and AOE ports. Any onther suggestions?

david