Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey, i've been getting many blue screens daily ever since I got my new video card which is a geforce 8800 gt. Today I got an unusual one only 4 lines long stating "d000014 begin dump of physical memory, unknown hardware error, at the time I was watching / still uploading a video from youtube, most of my blue screens occur when i'm downloading something or scanning for virus's (spybot snd, adaware) sometimes internet explorer lately will not responde for 30-40 seconds or so then it will come back and be normal, lol I can try to tell you more if you need just let me know, thanks.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
did you install updated drivers from nvidia

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
And what about your power supply, is it up to the task? And does the card use any shared memory?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'll give you all some background info, since I was in chat when Epsilon came looking for help. His previous card died and a friend installed this one. He's not sure what drivers were installed or anything, and may need some specific instructions as far trying to update drivers. Tyger, good thought about system specs - do you know what he might need for that card?

Thanks for helping out!

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well i had just typed out all of my power supplys info then clicked add reply and didn't work so i'll just do the basics of it lol. I just installed drivers from nvidia's site pretty sure it was the right one restarted so far so good don't really feel like typing my power supply out again, might do it later.

Edited by Epsilon, 01 May 2008 - 01:19 AM.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well even after installing the drivers the blue screens still occur so now im even more stumped then before >_<.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
My computer has been on for about 16 hours which isn't alot ... for this one at least, and just recently it froze twice like the curser speed slows right down, did that two times in a row then I got a blue screen, right after I started up and its been doing it every 2-3 mins ever since, do you guys think its my power supply? If you want the details about it I can give them to you if you need them.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
It could be your power supply.. Or it could be overheating.. It also could be an unstable beta-driver...

These informations may helps

1. What kind of Power supply do you use? Its wattage and the +12v rail ratings
2. Go here and download the latest version of GPU-Z and run it, Go to Sensor tab and look at GPU Temperature. That would give you the temperature of your GC..
3. When actually the BSOD happens? Is it during playing games? If so, what kind of games?
4. Do you use 8800GT 512mb version or 256mb version?
5. Other hardwares such as processor, RAM, motherboard, as Blue screen could also caused by errors from processor, nothbridge or bad memory..

Edited by fenzodahl512, 05 May 2008 - 12:57 PM.

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
1. FSP GROUP INC.
Sparkle Power Intl LTD

MODEL NO.: ATX-350PN

AC INPUT:110-120/220-240V-.8/4A.60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT:350W
+3.3V===22.0A()RG).+5V===21,0A(RED),+21V1===81,0A(YEL)
+12V2===16,0A(YEL/BLACK),+5Vsb===2,5A(PURP),-12V===0,3A(BLUE)
p.G.SIGNAL (GRAY), GROUP (BLACK)
((+3.3V & +5V=130W Max) (+12V & +12V2=300W Max)

GPU TEMP = 43.5 C Both temperatures have been moving up (comp up time 40mins) when it was first on it was
PCB TEMP = 42.5 C 37.00 C for both roughly.
Fan Speed = 44%
Fan Speed = 1284 RPM

3. Most of my blue screens happened when I was either downloading something or scanning with anti virus's on my computer.

4. 8800 GT 512mb version.

5. 2gigs of ram, MSI motherboard

If you need anything else just let me know.

Edited by Epsilon, 06 May 2008 - 10:17 AM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

DC OUTPUT:350W
+3.3V===22.0A()RG).+5V===21,0A(RED),+12V1===18,0A(YEL)
+12V2===16,0A(YEL/BLACK),+5Vsb===2,5A(PURP),-12V===0,3A(BLUE)
p.G.SIGNAL (GRAY), GROUP (BLACK)
((+3.3V & +5V=130W Max) (+12V & +12V2=300W Max)

Ouch.. while FSP makes good power supply, personally I do not think 350watt PSU is decent enough for such high-end card as 8800GT,

May I know what is your processor please? As if you are running a quad-core, that PSU would surely not enough to feed your system..

When you are downloading something, it has nothing to do with vga card or CPU usage but scanning with antivirus may have some impact on your CPU usage (depending on what AV you are using..)

look at the bold at the quote.. I assume you mean with that value?

My suggestion is try to borrow someone else PSU (with 450watt or above power rating) and try it on your PC.. observe the BSOD if any..

-----Update--------

Is this is your Power Supply?

If it is, then I strongly suggest you to get a better PSU.. it wouldn't enough to feed your System with 8800GT.. :)

Edited by fenzodahl512, 06 May 2008 - 10:39 AM.

Advertisements

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual core is my processor I beleive lol, its fairly old. Yes, that is my power supply though or it looks very close lol.

Edited by Epsilon, 06 May 2008 - 03:27 PM.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Ooooh, yeah it's a pretty good bet that your power supply is at fault. The absolute minimum would be 450w, but if you can go higher, get it.

Good luck.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi Epsilon.. I echoed what Fawoodward said.. Yes, get at least "True Power" 450wattage PSU.. My recommendation is Silverstone 560watt.. Or if your budget doesn't permit, I suggest nothing less than CoolerMaster Extreme 460watt.. Just don't buy anything lower than that.. And avoid cheapo PSU at all cost :)

Epsilon

Epsilon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
any specific brands or makes you guys would go with? (price not really a matter)

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

My recommendation is Silverstone 560watt.. Or if your budget doesn't permit, I suggest nothing less than CoolerMaster Extreme 460watt.. Just don't buy anything lower than that.. And avoid cheapo PSU at all cost :)