Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

qcwpung.exe USB Infection

• Please log in to reply

homebrewpc

homebrewpc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Well, I was fixing someone's computer, and wasn't thinking at all. There computer was infected with a strange virus that doesn't allow msconfig to open, so I saved some of their data on my USB drive, and re-installed windows. Well...now my USB stick and my computer are infected.

When you plug in a USB stick, qcwpung.exe automatically gets put on autorun on the USB stick, you delete it, it comes back, and it infects any other computer that that USB stick touches.

How can I remove this? I really can't transfer files without burning something at home, because I don't want to use my USB stick for obvious reasons.

Did a little bit more research...it's being run by hnkpcwn.exe and I deleted some registries that had it in there...but it still starts. And I can't find out how to get the dang computer in safe mode because I'm dual booting Windows and Ubuntu.

Did some more research...it's called the "seven random letter virus"

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by homebrewpc, 30 April 2008 - 07:43 PM.

Advertisements