Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still didnt solve OEM problem~!

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
ok thats the most RUDE Thing I have ever experianced...

http://www.geekstogo...68#entry1227368

Now haveing said that.... I still have some problems... if you were not so freaking rude in assumeing what I was doing you would have known that!

I have a laptop, cant find the stupid restore CD, cant read the number on the bottom, as it has been rubbed off from use. So I was albe to use the program they gave me in the last post.

How do I format the laptop? I have a valid OEM number that came with the laptop, just lost the stupid CD.

There has to be a way to use another CD as all you are buying when you buy an OS is the freaking number and not the CD anyway!

I have a legal product code, but not the Cd that came with laptop. How do I reinstall XP with the legal number..

I hope wannabe1 will actually not be rude and actually read what I wrote!~
What I am talking about doing is NOT illegal in anyway, I just dont know HOW to do it!
What makes it legal is the FACT THAT BOTH NUMBERS ARE LEGAL and purchased by me!

Advertisements

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi , What kind of Laptop do you have because you might have your opearting system in a hidden partition ? Also by chance did you try calling the manufacturer for your laptop and see if you can get a replacement disk . They usually will sell you one cheap ( $20 to $50 )

Edited by snooker, 30 April 2008 - 07:32 PM.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
no I dont, I already checked on that... I only have one partition. I have the OEM number, I was able to get it. Now how do I format the HD so I can sell it????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You were given a link to a free key finder...I suggest you use it.

Put your install CD in the drive and use it to format the drive.

I also suggest you change your tone a little... :)

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK either you cant read, or there is another problem? Someone on a power trip?????

I have stated that I was able to located the key, now im asking how do I format the drive and install the key thats ALREADY on the laptop. I dont want to have to go buy another stupid copy of XP when I dont need another number. I just need to know how to use MY XP CD and make it take the number I am getting off of this computer.

I have done this once before, but it was a long time ago.... I just forget how to do it. So I thought I would come to some minds that might remember. My tone is JUST FINE for someone like yourself who is RUDE!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Call the manufacturer. They will support the original installation if you have a problem with the key. Many OEM installations will not even ask for the key if the hardware has not been changed.

You will not need the product key to format.

If you wish to discuss this further...feel free to PM me.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
LiaoGoren there different ways in doing what you are asking because your system is preinstall , You need to mention what kind is your laptop , Also if you visit the maunfacturer site they will have a support site were you can probably download a manual is how its done . Usually with most preinstall you have to place disk in the optical drive and when it boot up you need to hit the F2 or F1 or F5 . it hard to tell without know your model

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
intresting, but I am not going to fight with you about his, I am above haveing an intrenet fight with someoen who can do as they wish on a fourm.

ANYWAY

Your still NOT READING!

I DONT HAVE THE ORGINAL XP CD!!!!!

Haveing said that and hopeing you didnt miss it, I have ANOTHER XP CD, that came with my Desktop (which I purchased about the same time), but when I try to format (cause I did this after installing a new HD in my desktop!) It NEVER asks for the product key for XP.

SO can/how do I use THAT CD, with the key I got from KEYFINDER, to format the laptop????

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Snooker,

I know how to use the XP CD as for as a "normal" format and reinstall of XP.... please read post above as to what I need to do.

if I cant get this fixed its going to cost me like 100-150$ to go buy a new XP and then I have the number that came with the dang laptop thats LEGAL and VALID, AND USELESS.... I want to avoid this!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Call the manufacturer. They will support the original installation if you have a problem with the key.

Dell will overnight a recovery cd set for about $30. Most other manufacturers have a similar policies...BUT you have to call them for the support. Granted that you have the legal keys...even given that you have two legal keys...you will still be in violation of the OEM EULA if you install to a machine that is not identical to the one the disk came with. The disk AND the license are tied directly to the machine on which they were originally installed. I didn't write the EULA so there's no need to be angry with me for pointing out the illegality issues in what you are wanting to do.

There are ways to make your install legal and all of them will begin and end with the OEM manufacturer. They will be able to help you where we can not.

Advertisements

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
See I know theres a way to put the same number back on the machine with any XP cd.. there has to be, I have done it before. I dont wanna pay some stupid company money to send me an XP Cd, I HAVE A CD and KEY... why should I pay for it?

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Just to add , If your other xp disk is not OEM and is retail , they don't work either . It has to be the same . If your other disk is OEM and its not identical to your laptop from the same manufacturer then it wouldn't work . You need to explain what type is your other xp disk ( OEM , retail ) View this site in how to re install windows

http://michaelsteven...m/format_XP.htm

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OMG!

I HATE WINDOWS!!!!!

Why cant they just make basic generic stuff to use by anyone... OMG

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

OMG!

I HATE WINDOWS!!!!!

Why cant they just make basic generic stuff to use by anyone... OMG

That why I dislike OEM , Only good thing about them is the cheaper price compare to Retail . I myself only like to use either retail or upgrades which basically are retails

Edited by snooker, 30 April 2008 - 08:33 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
quick question here
you want to sell laptop...yes
but you want to do it with clean format...yes
are windows damaged
can anything be done to fix them here at geeks to go
$30.00 is cheaper than $150.00
you can add $30.00 to sale of computer/laptop