Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Still didnt solve OEM problem~!

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
No I dont think there is anything that geeks can do to fix windows cause its not broke... its just got a TON of personal info wound up in it... so I just want to remove xp and install new copy.

I think I have figured out how I am going to do it... the only way I think I can, which is to buy a new retail version and go with that one. I have already contacted HP and they are sending me new CD for it!

Thanks for all your help folks and no further responces are needed! But comments are always taken!

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
thats good to hear hp sending you one :)
they wont send me one ...hp that is
everytime i do a sfc /scannow
i get errors
went over this with hp but they just wont

maybe i should raise the tone of my voice like you did ....joking :)

let us know how the refomat goes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

is there a way to load XP with my CD and then change the number to another numbeR?

This is why the first topic was closed. What you were asking us to help you with is illegal and would have made us complicit with your piracy attempt. If I were on a power trip, I could have nailed your hide to the barn door right there...I did not. I count no less than three violations of our Terms of Use by you during this discussion...for any of which I could have pulled the plug on you...I chose to let it slide. I did, in fact, read (and understand) your replies..and though you were adamant that you were right, what you were wanting to do was both illegal and unethical. We will not assist in such situations...period.

I'm glad you've chosen to go the legal route. You'll end up with a better installation and no hassles with activation. It would have been a real disservice to the person you sell the machine to if, at some point down the road, they had problems with activation or needed to reinstall. You would have left them in the same boat you found yourself in.

Might I suggest that, since you have personal information on the machine, you run Boot and Nuke on the drive before you format and reinstall? Though the only way to be assured that your information is unrecoverable is to destroy the hard drive, Boot and Nuke will make it so only someone trained in computer forensics would be able to retrieve anything. Something to consider anyway...

You made the right choice... :)