Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Is Adaware 2007 So Unstable?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi everyone!

I'm a long time user of Adaware SE [the good ole days]. About 7 months ago Adaware stopped providing update definition files for SE so everyone would hop on the Adaware 2007 band wagon. Well I've been using Adaware 2007 since than and I must say it's way too unstable. Sure I can do my weekly scans and find certain bad things I remove as usual. But as far as it's stability the program has gone down the toilet. Sometimes I'll update the definitions files through the web update button and the program will crash after the update has been installed, it may restart itself and display a windows error message such as this one:

Posted Image

Or even worse sometimes it just won't download any updates and show some sort of "error SSL failed try web update" message. & am I crazy? Because for heck sakes sometimes the program searches for software updates and shows me all these checkmarked language files from languages I don't even speak. Why would anyone like me want to download arabian, french, dutch, and other foreign languages when my application should be english? & knowing that it is running in english it shouldn't search for such updates. Or what am I bi-lingual now??? LOL. But beyond that I hear and have seen that there are countless background processes running because this software is installed. That's just slowing down my pc and heck I don't need that because I'm still on a P3 1.4Ghz w/512mb of ram!

Is there any solution to this [bleep] software? I'm sick of this... But I need to scan my files and this is like a sister software for Spybot Search & Destory. They go hand in hand during my weekly scans. What would I replace Adaware with? Or have they figured out the chaos and released a newer stable version?

I'm done with this... What am I to do? I'm even scared to uninstall it. Heck it may leave half of it's files and registry crap all over my darn pc.

:)

Edited by superstar, 30 April 2008 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I would recommend replacing it with MBAM

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

It should leave no traces behind if it uninstalls properly.

I know you are frustrated with the program, but please don't use bad language. This is a family site

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Will the MBAM program you recommend use less resources than Adaware? I'm still using a P3 pc with 512MB of ram and can't bare to use anymore resources/memory/speed. If it does use more resources and eat at my pc more than Adaware please recommend a better program. Oh & by the way is MBAM free to use forever with an option to pay to use advanced features? Because I did notice that you have to pay for it on the link you showed me. I also noticed that cnet.com has it as well for download and lists this under it's description:

"Limitations: Protection-disabled"

& I'm basically looking for something that is free to use. I hope MBAM is! I'm ready to kill off Adware and uninstall it from my machine this week! I'm so excited!!!

Thank You

& sorry about the cursing... Hehehehehe :)

Edited by superstar, 01 May 2008 - 11:15 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
MBAM is free but like most programs it has a paid version which includes real-time protection and other features

Not sure if it will use less resources than Ad-Aware

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
How long have you been using it to actually vouch for it as a useful program? Beyond that do you have any friends, coworkers, and such that use the app without problems? I'd just like to know a bit about it's reputation since it's quite a new app, and doesn't have a large fan base. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I had the same problems as you until I went into services.msc and set Adaware 2007 service to automatic... reboot..no more problems since then...about 4 months now

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

I had the same problems as you until I went into services.msc and set Adaware 2007 service to automatic... reboot..no more problems since then...about 4 months now

We shouldn't have to do that in the first place. Software companies need to stop firing good ole programmers for college kids in a race to save millions while they actually lose millions from customers who say bye bye.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I am a Malware Moderator here. I recommend users run MBAM on every log I help with. Have not had one complaint about the program.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

I am a Malware Moderator here. I recommend users run MBAM on every log I help with. Have not had one complaint about the program.

Alright that does it I'm fed up!!! I'm getting rid of Adaware and installing MBAM. Thank you for your kind help and generous information. I just hope Adware uninstalls without problems. Bye bye Adware... You used to be my friend... But just like some people you turned your back on me.

Too bad MBAM doesn't run in the background stopping bad processes like Adware. I guess I'd have to get the paid version for it to be actively running all the time. :)

But hey what do you think of SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.0.1154? I hear great stuff about it! Is it better than MBAM?

By the way is MBAM easy to uninstall if I don't like it?

Edited by superstar, 01 May 2008 - 12:48 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Okay well Adaware is officially off of my system and the uninstall went well. I have found no traces of Adaware on my system. I installed MBAM, but I must say the full system scan took longgggggggggggggggggggggg compared to Adawares full system scan. It took 2 and a half hours!!! :) Adware's full scan used to take about 35 minutes to complete on my system. I hope MBAM's quick scan feature is faster!