Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where Do I Start?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the current design it opens with gravity. the solenoid would just overcome the magnetic latch at the top of the door. the hinge would be at the bottom.

it could easily be done where the door would open mechanically. either with a linear actuator, a motor or even a rotary solenoid. the issue would be returning the door to a closed position.

you could use two sets of switches. one that switches for + and another set that reverses the polarity. then to open it you put pieces x y and z in the right places. then to close it you move piece z to a different spot on the boar to complete the reverse circuit

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
To the original poster, what kind of budget are we looking at?
Good quality wood is at a premium price, but well worth it.
The electronic swithing will not be too expensive, but selenoids, latches, ETC... will run up the cost.
A servo at the hinge would work to open/close depending on the switching, but there would be no real locking.

Edited by hfcg, 06 May 2008 - 12:34 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
here's an even crappier drawing than the first one

this one would be what i think would work (probably more complex than is required) for using a linear actuator to open and close the door on the box (or open and close a drawer in the box...or whatever)

box2.jpg

so in this scenario...putting your pieces on the two yellow squares on the chess board would cause the circuit to close and send + polarity signal to the linear actuator thereby causing it to extend....this extension would need to be translated to the door....a simple slide on the door would work (not gonna even attempt to draw it but i know what it would look like)...when the actuator would push out it would push the door open (or open a drawer which would be really easy and nifty)..

if you remove the two pieces that open the door/drawer (you couldn't leave either of them in place to close the door or you'd create a short) then the system would "de-energize"

then if you put your magnetic pieces on the two green squares...the circuit would close but this time the polarity would be reversed which would bring the actuator back in...thereby closing the door/drawer...

most linear actuators have limit switches built in as well so you wouldn't need to worry about it staying powered up if you forgot to take the pieces off at the end of the travel...

oh...and hfcg....i don' t mean to keep replying as if i know what the OP wants to know etc....i'm just interested in this project myself as i might build one or something like it