Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A quick question about the SWSETUP folder on laptop.

• Please log in to reply

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Okay, I know swsetup is used when making a full recovery on my laptop, but can I delete some unwanted programs in the folder so that they wont be installed again when doing a full recovery? Such as HPgames and junk that I don't want and keep any important things or things I use? Will this affect or cause an error if I ever needed to recover?

You see, the folder's about 2.5GB's, and I want (if possible) to clear some of it up.

Edited by Don'tcompute, 01 May 2008 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Oops! Wrong forum!

Please move this to Windows XP, mods! Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi, welcome to G2G.

I would not make any changes to that folder. Doing so may make the recovery process inoperative. It's not worth taking the chance.

A better solution would be to restore your computer, apply all updates, delete everything you don't want, install everything you want, then create an image backup to an external USB 2.0 hard drive.

Doing it this way has several advantages.

1. 20-30 minutes and your up and running without crapware, with all updates and basic software you use.
2. If you update your backup regularly then you never lose any important data, even if the hard drive dies, you replace it, restore from the external and you're ready to go.

If you buy Acronis True Image ($59) then it will even carve out a part of your hard drive to use as a hidden backup and recovery area, very much like what teh OEM vendors do. Still would need an external drive to cover the possibility of you internal drive dying.

Don'tcompute

Don'tcompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
That's what I thought I should do.

Thanks for the info!