Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

defragmenting question

• Please log in to reply

mnmg

mnmg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, when I defragment using the built in ms defragmenter (XP), there are two bars showing 'before' and 'after'. The 'after' bar shows quite a bit of red (maybe 15% of the total) which I guess means a lot of stuff remains defragmented. Defragmenting again I get the same result. Why is this? Should I be worried? Thanks for your help. (The drive is about 75% full.)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are files that cannot be defragmented. Among them are video, restore and page files. You shouldn't worry about that.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A few things will affect this. Windows' defragment utility needs a minimum of 15% free disk space to work. If this comes up, you may be presented with the option to try to defrag with less than 15%, but it's best to run Disk Cleaner utility to try to free up garbage files first and even remove the old Restore Points not needed.

Another factor is that the percentage of files left to defragment is equal to or less than what the Utility is set to work on and what is considered "no need" to defragment. You might search for a better Utility if you think you need to get all the red "removed" (to all blue). Green, of course, are files that can't be moved.

If your drive is about 75% full, I would look into getting an external storage drive and backup a lot of your personal stuff. Or install a larger drive.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 May 2008 - 06:02 AM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go to safemode and defragment your harddrive

restart your computer
tap F8
after windows load
choose safemode
defragment your drive

arborman

arborman

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi, when I defragment using the built in ms defragmenter (XP), there are two bars showing 'before' and 'after'. The 'after' bar shows quite a bit of red (maybe 15% of the total) which I guess means a lot of stuff remains defragmented. Defragmenting again I get the same result. Why is this? Should I be worried? Thanks for your help. (The drive is about 75% full.)

Some files that cannot be defragmented by the XP defragmenter are the Master File Table ($MFT) and the page file. You can check the analysis report for a list of fragmented files. To defragment the MFT and PF, you need a commercial defragger; none of the free ones can do it, AFAIK. You can probably download one of the free trial versions of the commercial utilities.

As for free space; the XP defragger demands 15% (or more, depending on the size of the fragmented files) free space to run effectively. It's quite an outdated defragger, just like most manual and scheduled run defraggers that demand too much in the way of resources to defrag properly. By comparison, the newest breed of fully automatic defragmenters can defrag even with 4-5 % free space (depending on the size of the fragmented files). They are easiest to run as well as most effective in handling fragmentation over the long term without the user having to lift a finger. Additionally, the best auto defragmenters can automatically resize the MFT and PF to minimize their fragmentation.

mnmg

mnmg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to all of you for your comments. You've put my mind to ease. Mr. Freeze, I tried defragmenting in safe mode but I still ended up with lots of 'red'. I guess it doesn't matter, I can't say I feel any slowness in operating the computer. Major Payne, I should have mentioned that I recently installed a second hard drive, much larger, which I use to back up files. Since they are work files and I would be 'lost' without them, I prefer to keep them on both disks. But I got rid of non-vital material on the old disk, which I still use for booting up. Before getting rid of the non-vital material I had less than 15% free space and the defragmentation tool wouldn't work, as arborman and Major Payne noted.