Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble setting up wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

Kielenstyn

Kielenstyn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I have a laptop with a wireless card and I also have a compatible router.
I connect my modem to the router using an ethernet cable and also the computer to the router with ethernet but setup says it cannot detect a network adapter, although if I use a USB cable it will work but once it starts to set up the wireless it cant connect to the internet.

I've found that I can only connect to the internet if I use the USB and not the ethernet cable and it can only be directly to the modem, however my laptop can connect directly to the modem using an ethernet cable.

The desktop computer has an AGP motherboard and Im assuming its not working due to lack of network card.

So is it possible for me to set up the wireless on my laptop without having to connect my computer with an ethernet cable?

or if I really do need a network card is there one available for an AGP motherboard?

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Yes you can. The Ethernet adapter is different from a Wireless adapter.