Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless problems after change to XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Handyann

Handyann

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

I've been having problems with my laptop since the last blasted Windows Media Centre update, tried a factory reset with very limited success, so my son wiped the bit of the drive with Windows on and installed XP Pro instead ( I don't of course have a Media Centre disk as the salesman said "..it repairs itself madam, you won't need one....) :)

Anyway, apart from this XP looking very old and clunky by comparison, it seems that my wireless capability has vanished. The Network Wireless Setup page only shows the mobile 3-Store connection I use when on the move, and the standard Lan setting which I don't use. I have access to wireless at my workplace.

In Device Manager, there's a raft of items with yellow exclamation marks - ethernet controller, PCI device, 3 x Flash Memory entries, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller. They appear not to be installed but I can't get them to install either from the XP disk or from the wizard searching the net.

I would be so pleased if someone could help as I use the laptop extensively for work and as I'm very newly self-employed, I'm losing money all the time it's not right.

Many thanks,
Ann

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
what is the make of your laptop

what is the model number

all the necessary can be found

you lapto will be running back to par

Handyann

Handyann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi and many thanks for your reply.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100, model number BL51.

Hope that's the right info!

Ann

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Go to this web site, select your model. All the drivers and software are available there.

http://www.acerpanam...FTOKEN=52292398

BTW: ACER has a horrible web site compared to Dell or HP.