Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP fast user switching hangs/crashes

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When I try to fast user switch my XP SP2 machine hangs/crashes.

When I turn off nod32 it fast user switches normally.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Incidentally, the problem does occur on new user accounts as well.

Searching has revealed other nod32 users with the identical problem.
http://www.experts-e...Q_23275836.html

note: This issue must certainly have arisen recently after a nod32 update because I never have had this problem before during almost a year of using nod32 on the machine. I now use a Mac mostly so I have not been active enough on the XP machine to encounter the issue before now.

Edited by 72707, 01 May 2008 - 01:17 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Dump Nod32, install AVG Free or Avast, or wait a bit anf Nod will more than likely post a fix.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Update: I contacted Eset via telephone and they said to uncheck "System startup file check" under "Scheduler/Planner". I did so and "Fast User Switching" works again. However, turning off "System startup file check" now, after 7 months without this issue, is not something that I am comfortable with. As I mentioned, it is obvious that this issue arose after a recent nod32 update, but the Eset "Engineer" did not, in my opinion, seem to know much at all.

In fact, he needed to ask someone else for the "fix" information he did give me. Furthermore, the first thing he said in response to me describing the problem was "Upgrade or reinstall nod32". In my experience, every incompetent tech support person I have encountered ALWAYS wants to fix everything by reinstalling. In this case, I am fairly certain the only thing that a reinstall would have accomplished is significant wasted time.

It is, both, deeply troubling and frustrating to me that the "trend" in customer service is for companies to make so called "technical support representatives" or, as Eset calls them, "Engineers" available that OBVIOUSLY don't know a thing; not even their own product.

Edited by 72707, 01 May 2008 - 01:18 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Amen to that, unfortunately it's been going on for many years now. The almighty dollar (not so almighty at the moment) seems to be the only criteria for deciding how to support a product, software or hardware. For some reason, companies seem to have forgotten that customer satisfaction = more sales, so a good support staff is as important as the product itself.

Oh, the link you posted is invalid. Looks like you did a copy and past instead of a copy link, it has the ...'s in it.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
What is the story on XP SP3? Have you upgraded to it yet?

I usually wait for all the problems to start getting reported and, hopefully, fixed.

When was SP3 released?

Any reasons I should stay away until later?

Thankyou. I fixed the link.

That website wants you to sign up for a free trial to see the solution. I did not sign up.

...unfortunately it's been going on for many years now.

You are right about that. I remember vividly some years back explaining to cell phone company Tier 2 tech support that the issue I was experiencing was "network side"; in other words, their system was "breaking" not my cell phone. After numerous calls I just relented and took the phone to a service center as they suggested. Literally, the first thing out of their "advanced" tech support guy's mouth was "Dude! You've got an old phone you need to get a new phone. That is the problem." After wasting another 45 minutes he came back out from supposedly running "diagnostics" on the phone and said the same thing. I probably wasted another 10 minutes or so trying to explain to Mr. "I'm really busy tech support guy don't you see all these other customers" exactly why and how the problem was "network side" TO NO AVAIL.

I got a new phone and, immediately, the same issue manifested.

More recently, I experienced what I realized was a "network side" issue with my "cellular" connection card. Same company. Their so called tech support denied they were having any problems on multiple occasions and said I needed to take the card to a service center.

Well, I waited some days for them to resolve their "network side' issue. After waiting I ended up calling them at least a few more times. They again supposedly checked the "towers" in my area and found no problem DESPITE the fact that staff at their local service center and at least one other store were telling me that they were getting calls from customers with the same issue. Anyway, I ended up in a store to pay a bill and, on a whim, asked the fellow that was helping me if he has heard of any problems with their connection cards in the area.

Guess what. It just so happened that his, I believe, cousin was part of a team physically working on cell towers a good distance away that WERE responsible for the connection card issues I was experiencing. He said that it would still be another week or so before they expected to have "repairs" complete. After 4 or 5 days I called their so called tech support again trying to get an update, I always ask for Tier 2 Tech Support, and they were still telling me I need to take the card to a service center because they do not "see" any problems with their "towers".

Even worse, on the few occasions that I actually get in touch with a REAL tech support person that knows his stuff I ALWAYS ask them if I can get their contact information(extension, email, ext.) so that I can get back "in touch with you when I experience problems." The cell phone company I am with, for the longest time, will not even let them do that. In the early days I remember getting contact info, but that was a long time ago AND it was when they, apparently, had a little more motivation to do something more for a customer than take his or her money.

What is so infuriating is that I know the amount of time I have spent contacting substandard tech support. I even explained, once or so, that they are wasting my time AND THEIRS. Far more money than it would take to just use competent tech support staff. These companies seem perfectly content to let me spend, over days, 20 times the amount of time with their so called tech support than it would take if they just had competent tech support in the first place. Maybe I am just far more persistent in putting pressure on tech support where other customers just *give up, because I do not understand how they can afford the "non-productive" time x minimum wage that I spend on the phone with their customer service WHEN one half way competent geek at $14 to $20 and hour would render me the right answer in 1/40th the time.

*More likely over 98% of the population thinks a reinstall or a new device fixes EVERYTHING.

Edited by 72707, 01 May 2008 - 03:05 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Pressed a hot button there I see :)

SP3 should be available to the general public now. I thought it was supposed to be April 29th but I may be mistaken. I do know it was released to OEM vendors a week or two ago.

Like you, I'll wait 3-6 months to see what significant errors occur before applying it. It will be nice to not have to apply 90+ updates though every time I install XP.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Pressed a hot button there I see

:) Oops. My safety pressure relief valve had been sticking for some time now. It kind of "unstuck" at the same time this XP issue showed up, thus, causing me to vent heavily. Sorry.

...was supposed to be April 29th...

I didn't know, but I was thinking it happened a few months ago.

...wait 3-6 months...

Yeah, unless I have no alternative, I would prefer to wait a while. The copious b* that can be associated with grabbing such "upgrades" right away is something that I need to avoid. ...for my health I think.

Indeed, that is why I am here. Updating nod32 "right away" broke stuff; although, this may be a case where I had no alternative.