Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking question

• Please log in to reply

BigChiefHH

BigChiefHH

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried to search for this, but it's a hard to describe topic, so I figured I'd just start a new topic.

I just bought a new laptop (HP, Vista), and I'm in the process of transferring all my files over from my old laptop (Toshiba, XP). Both of these laptops are wireless capable, and I'm wondering if there's a way to make a network between the two so that I can just grab files from one harddrive to the other. It's a pain in the rear to use my 1 gig flash drive to go back and forth. I do not have a wireless router, and I'm not certain how or what I could use otherwise to make this happen. In the mean time, I'll just go back to transferring one gig at a time.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what you want is a Crossover cable
go here for the lowdown
and here..for instructions...

BigChiefHH

BigChiefHH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks, I'll have to look for one of those. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...any electronics store will carry them...

BigChiefHH

BigChiefHH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright, maybe I'm reading the wrong things, maybe I'm not doing things right, maybe I'm wasting my time and energy and should go back to doing a gig at a time. Since I posted earlier, I got a crossover cable. I tried setting things up through the wizards, and I believe I ran into my first roadblock. Vista, which I'm using now, has the Windows Easy Transfer program. XP, however, has the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. For some reason, I tried to run the easy transfer program over the crossover cable between the two, and it was taking forever. It probably didn't help that I didn't go through and gather up everything I wanted transfered and put it in a file to tell the program to only transfer those files.

I'm stuck and I'm figuring out that I'm probably going to have to return the crossover cable and get the easy transfer cable that costs twice as much.

Help me, Obi-geek Kanobe, you're my only hope. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you read the instructions at the second link...why not set it up to run at nite while your asleep..
changing cables will not transfer files faster...its the same data highway