Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

re: PCIe 1.1 vs 2.0

• Please log in to reply

craypold

craypold

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, So what's the deal with PCIe 2.0, I know it's got double the bandwith of normal PCIe (5 GB/s vs 2.5 GB/s). My question is this; How do you know out whether or not the graphics card plunked down in your PCIe slot is ACTUALLY USING all of the avalible bandwith? It's not like graphics card manufactures are listing this on their spec sheets. I get the feeling they are pulling the wool over everyones eyes in an attempt to start an upgrade frenzy by layman consumers.

This brings me to my second qustion. Since PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatable there should be some serious bottlenecking and performance issues occuring with the current PCIe 2.0 cards in the old v1.1 slot motherboards (IN THEORY). This is not the case since GPU manufactures are happlily selling their v 2.0 cards to whomever they please regardless of the PCIe version their Mobo has. QUESTION: Does that mean that the new v2.0 cards don't even utilize the 2.5GB/s bandwith avalible in the old v1.1 bus ?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
WELL, yes there are no video cards that are fast enough for PCI-E 2.0 yet. But you know there will be some in the future. Its just a new standard that the video card makers have to shoot for in newer video cards.

Yes, you might consider that theres a bottleneck with a 2.0 card in a 1.1 slot. The problem there is you cannot expect 2.0 performance so you really don't have a bottleneck. The only way you notice it is if you have a faster 2.0 compliant computer and a graphics card that matches. You will need to buy a 2.0 compliant motherboard to use 2.0 speeds. It is a matter of drivers there and most MB makers are not going to issue drivers for older MB's that they no longer produce. You have to think the video card makers need to stop making old standard cards quickly as the market changes every year. So they must produce 2.0 cards even tho there are still 1.1 version motherboards still being used.

SRX660