Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system service is not running

• Please log in to reply

Trinity1ewalefo

Trinity1ewalefo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been TRYING to connect my Lexmark X 75 printer to my comp. I dont know why but it will randomly disconnect itself from my printer. I'll get messages saying that there is no printer to connect and then I have to turn the print spooler back on...I did that. My CD is scratched so I tried downloaded the drives from the Lexmark website. Everytime I turn my comp on it SAYS that it has found new hardware, but when I try to install it, I get an error message saying that it could not communicate and "the print monitor is not found" and my printer talks to me and says "cannot communicte with the printer". So I went online to solve that problem and when I tried to pull up my Help and Support from my start menu I got "cannot open Help and Support because the service system is not running. Open Help and Support to solve the problem" I mean what the [bleep]?!?! Can someone help, what on earth do I do?
I have windows XP and a Lexmark X 75 just to remind you

Advertisements

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi, Trinity1ewalefo

See if any of these ideas help you ...

Turning on the "Help and Support Service"
Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Administrative Tools - Services - They are in alphabetical order (scroll to the H's) look for Help and Support -Right click on Help and Support and select "Properties" - under Startup Type select Automatic or Manual from the drop down box.

Set Print Spooler to Automatic
Start - Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - Administrative Tools - Services -(scroll to the H's) look for Help and Support -Right click on Help and Support and select "Properties" - under Startup Type select Automatic from the drop down box. - Make sure the "Print Spooler" Service is set to "Automatic"

Other services that may effect your Printer:
Shell Hardware Detection
Windows Management Instrumentation
Fast User Switching

If you activate any service and then find out that it did not help - go back in and disable it. Un-needed service's left running are just another security hole as well as a drain on your resources.