Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

networking my computers together

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I went and bought me a wireless router with wired ports in the back a few weeks ago and have hooked my Vista laptop to it wireless and hooked my XP desktop through a wired port on the router. Its been working fine for browsing the internet, but I would like to do file sharing between my computers. I was wondering if it would be possible with one wired and one wireless. And if it is how do I set it up. I would like to be able to access any files on my XP from my vista while limiting what my XP can access on my vista laptop. :) :)

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello Amber,

I'm Olrik and I'll be helping you get this sorted. :)

Yes this is possible.
First thing you need to make sure is that the wireless network is properly protected!
If you open up your computers and your wireless network is not properly protected
people can freely look around in your computer and take files from you.

Second would be to make a list of what you want your XP to see on your Vista Laptop.

Regards,
Olrik

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Just go on each computer you want to share files from, and either drag the files you want shared in to the "My Sharing Folders" folder or right click the folders you want to share and select "Sharing and Security...". Then select to share this folder and give it a name. You should then be able to see the shared files/folders by typing \\computername from the start | run command.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Ok took me a while, but I got it. I made sure to secure my network and it took me a while to get XP recognized by Vista. I had the wrong name for the network I guess....once I changed that it it worked good. Thanks for the help you guys :)