Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard and Harddrive question

• Please log in to reply

^_^

^_^

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi,
i'm a noob computer builder, planning to do a fist time build while using some older parts.

I was just wondering if i were to use a old Seagate (300G) hard drive that has an OS alredy on, on a XFX 680i LT motherboard or any motherboard at all, should there be anything i should do when installing, or anything in the bios, or will it just load up the OS right away?

Advertisements

Microchips N Dip

Microchips N Dip

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Depends on the OS you're using, but nowadays since all hardware is plug n play your OS should automatically detect the changes and install the necessary drivers. You shouldn't have any problems with XP or even current versions of Linux. Just set your bios to auto-detect the hard drive and you should be up and running.

^_^

^_^

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok thanx for the info

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That info is incorrect.

Assuming you have Windows XP (as your profile states), if it was an OEM version (it came with the computer, or you bought an OEM copy), it is legally bound to the motherboard it was originally installed on and you will need to buy a new copy for use with a new motherboard.

If it was a retail copy, you can legally transfer it to another computer, but you will still need to run a repair install first in order for the operating system to work.

Microchips N Dip

Microchips N Dip

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry about the incorrect Windows info. I recently swapped motherboards out on my Xubuntu 7.04 machine and it booted without any problems. I seem to remember doing the same with windows a few years ago (might have been win98), but then again I've never bought a pre-installed copy of windows, it's always been the retail version.