Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ECS GF6100-M754 power connector question

• Please log in to reply

Microchips N Dip

Microchips N Dip

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently purchased an ECS GF6100-M754 motherboard and as I was in the process of installing it I noticed that there was an additional 4-pin power connector next to the 754 cpu socket. Most of my technical experience is with much older mb's and cpu's so this is the first time I've encountered that connector. I've read through the mb manual which doesn't give any description as to what the connector is used for. The only thing the manual says about the connector is this:

Connect the auxiliary case power supply connector to PWR2

The link below contains an image of the motherboard. The 4-pin connector can be seen at the bottom left corner of the cpu socket.

http://www.ecs.com.t...M754_v1.0b1.jpg

What is the connector for? Do I need to connect my power supply to it for the cpu to receive power? And what is a auxiliary case power supply?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 4 pin connector (also known as the 12v connector) is required to provider power to the CPU. It is compulsory to plug it in, otherwise the board will not POST. All boards with this connector or later revisions of a similar connector require it to be connected in order to do anything. Early revisions provided it, but didn't need it connected.

Auxiliary power supply is your power supply, the big grey box that you plug the mains into :) Otherwise known as external input aka electricity :) Unfortunately computers don't run on fresh air (yet).