Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP just got nuked

• Please log in to reply

Joshiii-Kun

Joshiii-Kun

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, so this all started with me wanting to use a wallpaper in Vista that was in the my documents folder on my windows XP installation drive.
I took ownership of my profile map, and when I booted into XP to do some work to find that my profile wouldn't load.

So then I went into safe mode and regained my ownership. I could boot again, but I had some driver issues and not to mention the error message I got every time I logged in.
"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system"

So I googled around a bit, and I saw a lot of people saying that I should delete the ntuser.dat file and it will be regenerated.
Now, I'm not stupid. I backed up that file and I renamed the original instead of deleting it.

So I did that. No change. Still same background, same configuration. Nothing had changed. Also, I still got the error message every time I logged in.
So I went into safe mode again and put the backups back. After finishing that I rebooted, and...

... My XP got totally nuked somehow. My profile is called "Joshua" and XP decided to make a new user called "Joshua.ULTRANERD" and load that one instead. It also decided to rename my "My Documents" folder in my normal Joshua profile to "Documents of Joshua".
I tried renaming the folder to "My Documents", but then XP renames it back to "Documents of Joshua".
I also tried deleting the Joshua.ULTRANERD folder in the "Documents and Settings" folder with Killbox, but it's stubborn. It won't be deleted.
Joshua.ULTRANERD doesn't show up in the User Accounts setup thing in the configuration screen. I think XP thinks Joshua.ULTRANERD is the Joshua profile.

Now, I really need to get some work done and this whole ownership issue screwed up all my XP profiles, it seems.
I really don't have the time to do a complete reinstall, in fact, I need to get some work done today (deadline) and I can't do that when Windows is acting up like this.

So my questions to you are...

1. How do I get rid of that garbage user Joshua.ULTRANERD?
2. How can I fix XP so that I can use my regular Joshua profile? I mean... It's right there.
3. How do I get rid of that "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system" error message? It's definitely not ntuser.dat.........

Thanks in advance... I hope you can help me. I wouldn't have expected that this issue could arise from the need to use a certain wallpaper....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Joshiii-Kun...

Good one. I don't recall ever seeing this problem before.

Have you tried a system restore to a date before you grabbed the wallpaper? I don't know that it's going to help given all the other things you've changed, but it's worth a shot.

wannabe1

Joshiii-Kun

Joshiii-Kun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yep, already tried that, but no cigar.

In my documents and settings map there are two Joshua account folders, "Joshua" and "Joshua.ULTRANERD", ULTRANERD being the name of my PC. However, XP somehow seems to think that "Joshua" doesn't exist, and that "Joshua.ULTRANERD" is the "Joshua" profile. Weird stuff...

Then again, this Windows XP install is 4-5 years old now. I guess it was about time it started to break down. But still, first I need to save my stuff =P

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.

Sounds like your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored. If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.

The key is a registry hack that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.

Click on Start / Run type regedit and press Enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called "ProfileImagePath" that will look like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\UserName...

Scroll through the SID's until you find the one with the screwy name, like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\youruserid.2

This is just an example, could be someithing else weird.

Just edit the Key to remove the ".2", and it will point the user back to their old profile...

Got this from TechRepublic.com

Also some excellent information here: http://www.lockergno...p-user-profile/

Joshiii-Kun

Joshiii-Kun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks a lot, Ztruker! I can access my profile again as usual.
But I can only access it, haha. It seems more things are at hand.

First of all, I still get that "Windows can't load user profile" error message, and I can't get some programs to start (i.e.: Windows Live Messenger, Adobe Audition and lots of other programs). At least I can still listen to my jazz music. Oh yeah, and I can't seem to be able to set up a wallpaper. It just won't show up.

But yeah, this is screwed up. I don't really know what caused this now, but it seems like a complete reinstall is the only way to completely fix this. I'm not sure a repair install will even do anything, but it might be worth a try.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
A Repair Install is not going to fix a user profile problem.

What about creating a new account. Do things work then or do you still have the same problems? If things are better, then follow instructions here to copy your data from the old account to the new one.

Follow these directions posted here on GeeksToGo.com a while back:

1. Ensure you've added a new user account and that you've logged in using that account at least once - this will create the folder under Documents and Settings
2. Reboot the computer.
3. Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
4. Login with an account that is neither the old or the new account. This prevents "file in use" errors while copying. (NOTE: If you don't have another account, you can create a third one or you can boot into Safe Mode and log with the ADMINISTRATOR account.)
5. Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
6. Select everything in that folder except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini. (These may be hidden files, so if you don't see them, open My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check "Show Hidden Files/Folders")
7. Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount
8. Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
9. Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user, you can delete the old profile (And the third account you created in Step #3 if it was needed).

Joshiii-Kun

Joshiii-Kun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried out that last thing, copied over my files to the new account. It does work better now, but it's certainly not error-free. It just allows me to make backups and burn away some images, but for the rest it's so incredibly crippled that it has almost become useless, seeing that so many things are just not working properly.

Thanks :) This weekend I'll be doing a complete reformat and install Vista and Ubuntu, just how I'd like it ;P
I just wished I had an external hard disk, that would certainly make backing up my data easier.