Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help me decide what psu is compatible with my comp

• Please log in to reply

JCHASE88

JCHASE88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
im new to computers and im trying to start a new hobby i need a good psu im currently running a bestec atx-250-12z ive done some homework and am starting to understand the connectors and and requirements but i dont want to order the wrong one im thinking a antec earth 500 watt but im not sure it will work with my comp or even fit in the space wich is 5.9wx3.4hx5.5d does anyone have any suggestions on a good model? i just dont want to spend money on the wrong psu
p.s. my computer is compaq presario sr1303wm amd sempron

Edited by JCHASE88, 01 May 2008 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi JCHASE88 and welcome to gtg.

When it comes to choosing Power Supply Units (PSU), generally the more expensive they are the better and heavier the build quality and also they normally run quieter. (I have myself bought at PSU for £20 ($40) and it ran almost silently).

My question would be is why you are looking to upgrade from what you have, as you dont mention that there is a problem with your existing one. You would normally only need a new PSU for one of two reasons:

1. The current model is faulty or dead
2. You were upgrading numerous components in your PC which took the total power usage to over 250W.

If neither of the above apply, then I feel you would be wasting your money.

Based on the computer you have (and I admit I only had a quick glance at its specification) you don’t need to look for one that has SATA power connectors, therefore one that only has molex connectors should be sufficient for your current needs.

If you are planning on taking up computer building/repair as a hobby, then getting one with SATA connectors would be an advantage, as most computers now run SATA hard drives. (It makes the inside of the case look tidier and saves the usage of power connector adapters).

In terms of size, most are standard; however measure the size of your current PSU. When you decide to buy one most websites will tell you the dimensions of the one you have chosen.

I myself run an ANTEC power supply in my PC and I can honestly say I have never had any trouble with it.

I hope this helps.....

JCHASE88

JCHASE88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanx im adding video card, ram and what everelse i can do to make her run better and faster i have the measurements 5.9wx3.4hx5.5d in inches i'm deffinitly going to go sata and my hearts set on antec but i contacted compaq and they tell my i run a atx micro??? even though the current psu only says atx-250 on the side so im lost on wether to go micro or standard so if u happen to run across a psu u think will fit my computer let me know so i can check it out cause im a little lost but still pluggin on
thanx agian ut time is appreciated

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Here is a list of mATX power supplies, although I wouldn't recommend any of them...

How much are you intending to spend on the upgrades? It may be worth doing a few more serious changes to the components that you have - instead of just throwing a whole bunch of more parts to it, in the hope it goes faster. :)

Cheers

Troy

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
JCHASE88,
I understand your wanting to get rid of the Bestec. I had 1 in my old emachines. I suspected it was causing some problems so I replaces it and the pc did work better.
As far as the size goes, measure the space available while the current psu is in the pc. Any extra room?
This is your new hobby. Enjoy it. But don't let it drive you crazy.
Have you thought of installing you mobo into a larger case?
Then you'll have room to upgrade as you want.
Just make sure your current components will fir into a mid size case.
jst42day