Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG 8 Free

• Please log in to reply

Balzac

Balzac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, well, I was using AVG 7.5 until yesterday... just installed AVG 8.0 Free
So far, so good...
Canīt complain, had an issue, and thought it was the AVG, but finally found out some corrupted files in the hard drive.

Regards,

Edited by Balzac, 25 May 2008 - 02:07 AM.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I decided to switch back to AVG and pulled Avast.
It seems Avast is more power hungry when following your moves.
It was getting annoying.
I was getting a lot of spikes at every move.
They were not the same as just normally using the computer.

My computer doesn't have much power and I can see a difference easily.

So anyway I switched back to AVG and I'm satisfied with it.
and they do keep improving it, it seems.

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have an older PC running XP SP2. Was using AVG AntiMalware (subscribed) for the last few years and it was becoming more and more "Nortonesque" in the sense of hogging resources. If I was online while an update was being downloaded and installed, the PC would pretty much lock-up until AVG was finished. Even though it usually took only 5 minutes or so, it was still annoying. Even when not actively updating, my PC was becoming slower and slower.

After uninstalling AVG and installing free version of AVAST, my PC was MUCH faster. The initial scan does take a while but now it is quite unobtrusive. After getting a couple of infestations from malware a while back (and getting excellent help from the GTG crew to help me clean up the mess) I have been able to keep my PC fairly clean, so I'm pretty confident the change in performance is soley due to switching to AVAST.

Am very happy with it so far.

Also the interface did take a bit getting used to but it's manageable.

JR