Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Want to BOOT from A USB FlashDrive , but my BIOS wont Let Me :(

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I need to boot my PC through a USB Flashdrive to access a program (when the program was applied it was written to be a bootable disk) but I dont think my BIOS supports USB booting, What Can I Do/Upgrade so that I CAN boot through my USB?

The PC I'm runnning is

HP Pavilion a1312n

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the BIOS does not support booting from USB, there's generally not a lot you can do about it. Branded computers like HP generally remove features like these because the customer base who buy those sort of computers generally have no need to boot from USB, for example.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I think there's a new version of SmartBootManager that fits on a floppy and will let you boot from USB. In any case there are floppy disks that will let you boot from USB for various types of devices, but you would find SBM to be the easiest to use. Unfortunately I don't have a link for it, but if you Google;

smartbootmanager +download

you could find one.