Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Never had this before

• Please log in to reply

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, I got a duff pc from work, and I sussed that the only problem was a defective hdd, so I replaced this, and tried to install xp. The process of copying files to the hdd took nearly 2 hours, so I aborted the attempt, and fitted a new dvd writer, and a new ide cable. Same problem. I then went into the cpu fan and heatsink, and cleaned the crud from it, still no joy. I checked all the cables, and cards to make sure they were tight, still no joy, so I decided to install xp anyway in the hope that a fault would show up - it didn't, but it took nearly 24 hours to load xp. the machine is a pentium 2.8 with 1 gb ram, I know its not going to be a flyer, but I used to have an old 8088 that was faster than this.

I am quite expierienced in the art of messing about with pc's, but this has me beat!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Davy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is probably a damaged motherboard. My first thought is the bios has been lost so the computer really does not know what To do. I would be looking around in the bios for bus speeds, or voltages that are way off.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the new cable 40 PIN 80 WIRE..

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yup, its 80 wire 40 pin, but I just had a thought, prompted by SRX660, I will reset the bios to its default, and try again. Will keep you posted
davy

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
Yes, you were spot on SRX660, some of the voltages were silly!!
a quick click on "load optimal settings" in the bios, and we were up and running. Any idea what would cause this, and is it likely to happen again?
Thanks
Davy