Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help asap (vga issues)

• Please log in to reply

breathe easy

breathe easy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello geeks, i really need help as soon as possible as this particular pc is the server and thus has all the information needed for the office.

it started this way. it has an onboard vga and thus it has been configured to take some memory from the main memory to support its vga operations.
i got myself a new card and i changed and installed it.(nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400, windows found its drivers). it worked well. then i tried GTA SA with it and it also worked fine.
later as i quit the game, i couldnt seem to get back to my desktop so what i did was to do a hard shutdown. after that i've tried to get back to windows but all it does is to give a blue screen first and then restart when it gets to the logon stage.
funny thing is safe mode works perfectly well( i am sending this message using safe mode with networking.)

i am at alost as i've tried everything i know. i really need help. i dont know if this problem has anything to do with the display drivers as i have uninstalled them and re-installed them back.

my pc as a compaq evo running on xp with service pack 2.

i dont want to result to formating cuz i cant afford to loose 120gb data.

plzzzzzzz help out.

cole

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

When safe mode works & normal doesn't, it's almost always a driver issue since safe mode does not load third-party drivers. So the fact that safe mode works isn't "funny" at all. It's very clear why this happens. You are uninstalling the bad driver for the ancient Nvidia card (the correct procedure), but then your re-installing it and introducing the same problem.

I suggest you not only remove the driver but remove the Nvidia card also and revert to on-board graphics until you can get a different graphics card than the one you have (preferrably not one with an Nvidia chip).

breathe easy

breathe easy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
pip22, thanks alot. actually i tried the same thing yesterday as you said and it is working now.

thank u for getting back at me in time.

am relieved now that its working without having to format it.

sliQue