Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rundll32 Error?

• Please log in to reply

thefrustrated

thefrustrated

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I have Windows Vista and this is the first time I've noticed this happen. When I right click the desktop and it takes me to appearence and personalization, it'll have a list of things I can click on, which are:
Window Color and Appearence
Desktop Background
Screen Saver
Sounds
Mouse Pointers
Theme
Display Settings

Everytime I click on one of these (except for Desktop Background, an error message will come up saying "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

How do I fix this? I'm not typing in anything, just clicking. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Please in future post on the appropriate section of the forum. In your case that should have been "Operating Systems-->Windows Vista.

This section is for hardware and components only.

The error can be caused by some third-party software firewalls (particularly Kerio), you can check this by uninstalling it if you have one.

Another common cause is malware infection. By far the best utility for exposing these is "HijackThis", though analysing the HJT log and knowing what to fix is a job for trained eyes & brain. That's because HJT lists everything that's running, both good and bad.

Go to this section: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Read the "pinned" posts. You'll see links to various malware removal tools, including HijackThis. If you use HijackThis please post it's logfile to that forum only.

thefrustrated

thefrustrated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you. Will do.