Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP won't start

• Please log in to reply

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am having the same problem.. But when i try to boot the disk it doesn't ask to push space bar to boot a disk.. Any sugguestions?

Thanks
Sara

Advertisements

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay.. Here is my problem... My computer has been run really slow so i pulled up the malware removal guide and started the removal process.. First i did outerinfo, then iedenfender and then Smitfraud. When i tryed to restart to finish smithfraud in safemode it wouldn't let me. When i went to log in it logs me back out.. Can this be fixed?? Please help

Thanks
Sara

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello sara_mommyof3...

I've moved you to a topic of you're own. While this problem seems identical, it's been caused by completely different things and will likely have to be approached in a different manner. It would get very confusing very quickly to be working two different problems in one topic.

If the cd is not being recognized as a primary boot device, you may have to enter BIOS Setup and change the boot priority so that the CD-ROM is the first boot device and the Hard Drive (HDD) is second. Be sure to save the settings (F10) when you exit setup. Then see if you are prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD" when the machine starts.

Are you using the RC.iso disk or an XP installation cd? If you are using RC.iso, did you burn the cd as an ISO image? An ISO image is different than a data cd and must be burned differently.

wannabe1

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay I got the cd to boot but it keeps say access denied.. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

Sara

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
and i'm using the Rc.iso disk

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Access denied at the password prompt entering Recovery Console or within the procedure?

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
within the procedure

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok when i enter Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter". it says the system cannot find t5he file or directory6

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your System Restore turned off? If it is, there will be no restore files to list.

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i'm not sure.. is there any way to get my files from the computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you still have recovery console running? If yes, and you are at the prompt, type exit and press "Enter".

Boot back into Recovery Console as you did before.

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

This should run a very long 5 stage check of the file system. Let it finish.

When you are returned to the prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let it try to boot normally.

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay... I did the scan and let it boot normally.. When i go to log into owner it starts to log in but immediately signs back out..

Sara

sara_mommyof3

sara_mommyof3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So do u think there is anything i can do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of machine do you have? Make and model number may be helpful.

Do you know someone who may have a Windows XP installation cd of the same version as yours?