Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I am only receiving 50% of my bandwidth, while others are ab

• Please log in to reply

Mr Enigma

Mr Enigma

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all!

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me fix this problem.

There are three separate pc's in the household, each with their own separate internet connection. One is connected to the router directly i.e. "hard-wired", the other two are connected to the router via 2 separate wireless modem's.

We have cable broadband.

Recently, we upgraded our broadband from 2mb to 4mb. Yesterday, it was increased to 10mb.

We each took turns to test our download limit using two separate internet speed guides. No one was downloading whilst the other tested their speed.

The other two pc's in the household are receiving the maximum bandwidth allocation-10mb, but for some reason, my download speed varies between 3-5mb. I cannot get any higher than 5mb download.

I tried this again today, when my pc was the only one on and connected to the internet. There was no change in my speeds.

We swapped the wireless modems around to see if that was the problem, but my speeds were still restricted

I don't understand why this is happening. Prior to the upgrade to 10mb, we were all able to reach the 4mb limit.

Recently, we (collectively-i.e. all 3 of us) had some trouble with our speeds, it turned out that we needed a new modem. A couple of days ago our router was causing some trouble and was limiting our bandwidth, but after we replaced a cable, the speeds improved.

Incidentally, my upload rate is the same as the others in the household.

Also, another point which may be of some relevance; a couple of months ago I downloaded the TCP optimizer, I implemented the optimal settings but noticed little difference so I reverted to the previous default setting. When we increased to the 4mb, I noticed that the adjustment automatically increased to 4mb. I noticed no such change when we increased to 10mb, the gauge remained on 4mb. I decided to delete the program.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you may be able to provide. Thanks in advance! :)

Oh yeah, a heads up! I'm certainly not an advanced user, so be gentle! :)

Edited by Mr Enigma, 03 May 2008 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
welcome to Geeks2Go!

I understand your problem but I'm not sure whether the 'problem' PC is connected wirelessly or wired to the router owing to your ambiguous post. However, if it's wired you might want to try fitting a new network card.

Mr Enigma

Mr Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

welcome to Geeks2Go!

I understand your problem but I'm not sure whether the 'problem' PC is connected wirelessly or wired to the router owing to your ambiguous post. However, if it's wired you might want to try fitting a new network card.

Thanks for the reply, apologies for the ambiguous post on my behalf, I thought I had implicitly acknowledged that I was using a wireless modem given the following quote that I used in my original post, but I should have been more explicit

We swapped the wireless modems around to see if that was the problem, but my speeds were still restricted

I am using a wireless modem

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try connecting (wired) directly to the router..then check your download speeds...any difference

Mr Enigma

Mr Enigma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just to let you know that I got fixed!

When we were all on-line we looked at the routers readings and found that the router did not recognise my connection- it didn't show my connection, yet I was connected to it!

So I went through the process of reinstalling the adapter and the software again!

Now I'm getting 9.4mb

:)