Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new SLOW compaq laptop, what to do?

• Please log in to reply

charlycont

charlycont

• Pip
  • 5 posts
about a week ago i bought this new compaq laptop, it was kinda cheap with nice numbers, but when i turned it on it was soooo slow, i thought it was just because the new configurations and all that.. but it is still slow-

i erased norton, but it is still there!!! an 80something mb file and wont delete!!!

i erased soo much windows crap

it is still slow

friends tell me to erase everything and reinstal the OS ALONE, and that vista is crap. i dont know what to do because it already has some files and programs i installed and i wanna know if theres one last hope for it

if i do install a new os they say XP is better.. but i dont know if going backwards is better.. others say macOS is better.. but i dont know if it would only make my lap slower.

sooo.. i also wanna know what MSCU for windows vista is, and if i can erase it.

what can i do to make it fast.. not light speed fast, i´m not that greedy, just normal fast.

it is:

compaq presatio F700
AMD mobile sempron 3600+
nvidia graphics
windows vista BASIC (baad i know)
HD 120GB enhaced IDE 5400 RPM SATA
1024 MB 667MHz DDR2

in my lap it says it only has 959 of ram!!! and about 90 of HD thats a LOT for only "from factory" programs.

i hate windows. i hate the crap that came with my baby notebook. HELP... by the waay, i´m not a computergod, i know just the basics to be "good" with computers, be nice with me pwease.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i think the thing that would help the most is to get more ram.

Alot of comp sell ccomputers with vista on them without alot of ram.

U need 2g+ of ram for it to run faster. more the better.

vista basic does suck. U should of got home premium(but, that probaly would of cost u alot more)

i have home premium and it runs pretty fast, i have amd opteron 1.8gzh dual core cpu, and 4g of ram.

if you even just get another gig of ram u should see a big differance

Edited by charge06, 02 May 2008 - 09:12 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a acer laptop with a celeron dual core and Vista basic. While it is slower than my desktop Q6600 with vista premium it is not that much slower. I did add 2 -1 gig sticks of memory to the laptop simply because they were on sale of $60. It seems that Vista only uses around 550MB memory to run anyway, so i really don't think it is a factor in slowness. I personally thought i would not like Vista, but have now decided i like it better than XP. Its much easier to customize if you read up on how-to articles on the internet. I find the only thing different from premium is that basic does not have the AERO interface. That is not a great loss to me as it is only eye candy for the computer.

The idea of reinstalling Vista from a vista windows CD does have some merit. I have 2 compaq desktop computers and could not stand them until i started changing them around and stopping most of the excess software that H-P's compaq division decided you need with their computer. Both the SR1750 and SR2011 computers i have were driving me crazy with all the junk they seem to run in the background. A lot of the programs and stuff you can use msconfig to stop running, and that does help. On a customer compaq computer i did replace vista basic with all the compaq crud with a retail bought vista premium and the customer is happy with it now and it is somewhat faster. The only problem there is the cost of the retail DVD was $170. It's still no where near as fast as my custom built XFX 610i desktop computer. i also find that Vista computers are pretty slow in the first 5 to 7 minutes as they file a update of recovery every boot. I usually just let them do their thing for a few minutes then do what i need to do with the computer.

SRX660